Chapter 35 | The Puzzles are Far too Puzzling

"Only pour a bit more. Ah there. Perfect." Lady Formidas commanded. It was a warm night in Coruscant, something treasured among the Coruscaniti. Across the city-wide planet festivities were celebrated all over. However, the Formidas were enjoying a quiet night in their penthouse on their rooftop dining area. The breeze was sweet, and the sights were bright.

The servant nodded and stepped back away from the table. "Would you like anything else, my Lady?" The servant asked timidly, he held the wine bottle in his unsteady hands. His eyes darted around, avoiding the hawk-like eyes of his employers.

"No." The Lady paused and glanced at her husband who sat across from her. Her voice dropped a few degrees, almost to the sound of a cool hiss, "Leave us."

The servant bowed deeply before setting the bottle down on the tablecloth, careful not to disturb the delicate arrangements of the HoloLights and the deluxe food. Lady Formidas watched him scurrying back to the elevator from whence he had come.

Formidas picked up a fork and a knife, beginning her meal. As she was cutting the meat into small, symmetrical pieces, she looked up at her husband, "I dealt with that troublesome ambassador if you were wondering."

"And I applaud you, Evaxious." Darth Plagueis said. He sighed as he placed his gloves on either side of his face and lifted off the stark-white mask. He set it on the table beside his wineglass. Formidas watched as he did so.

She scoffed at it, "Why do you always wear that ridiculous mask, dear?" Formidas speared a crisp piece of meat.

"For the dramatics." He cracked a grin.

Formidas shook her head with a smile. She rested her cheek in her hand, "Bazaron, I must ask you this..."

Darth Plagueis nodded.

"Are things moving too fast? Making this boy your apprentice so quickly? Is this...another flair for dramatics as you call it?" Formidas said bluntly, her smile dropped.

Darth Plagueis sighed deeply and sat back in his chair, "Time is of the essence, Evaxious. Drastic changes must be made if this is to succeed."

Formidas' lips thinned, "Yes, drastic changes must be made but trusting a boy we hardly know is a change I don't find fit."

Darth Plagueis leaned forward, his forearms on the table, "What do you suggest I do then? Kill him? I can't expunge his memories." He slid his chair back a little as if he was about to get up but then hesitated. "What do you hope to accomplish from this, Evaxious?"

Formidas put her head in her hands, her delicately manicured red nails digging into her dark hair. "I hope to make you see how this boy could be dangerous." She unfurled her fingers and leaned across the table, "I don't like him being as close to our son as he is."

Darth Plagueis let out a short laugh, "Don't fret, Evaxious. The boy is gullible. He trusts me."

"He's a politician."

"There are some politicians that I trust. I married one who trusts me." Darth Plagueis said sharply. "I need this boy. We need this boy for our plan. Otherwise..." He trailed off, his gaze lingering on his wife.

"Good Force, Bazaron, you're going to drive yourself mad." Formidas slammed her fist on the table, "This boy isn't a necessity. We cannot rely on anyone but our family."

Darth Plagueis stood up quickly and crossed the rooftop to his wife, sitting beside her. "Evaxious, you are an incredible politician, sleuth, leader, and all in between." He took in a deep breath, "But unfortunately this boy has something that neither you nor Jaxious has."