Chapter 11 | Beyond the Door to Nowhere

Somewhere within the glittering city of Coruscant dark dealings were occurring in the Formidas Residence, or rather under the Formidas Residence.

Two figures bound together by the dark side stood within a dripping cavern. The red door leading to chasm lay before them.

The taller and more imposing figure rested his hand on the doorknob and then turned it. The door swung open to expose the gaping dark space beyond.

Palpatine pondered. "This door doesn't lead to nowhere as you said before?" Palpatine turned to Bazaron to verify his answer.

Bazaron withdrew his hand from his cloak and regarded Palpatine. "How insightful of you, Palpatine. Since you are so insightful, please, enlighten me, how shall we get across?"

Bazaron waved a hand towards the other side. Palpatine squinted through the darkness to see a slant of light. It bled out into the darkness, a door across the expanse ajar.

However, there was nothing in between, simply empty space. Another step and it would be certain death.

"Well, there must be a bridge of some sort." Palpatine peered down into the shadow of the cavern. Within the darkness there was a shimmer, much lower down. The outlines of a rectangular object spanning the length of the cave. "There!" he pointed it out.

"Yes, good, Palpatine." Bazaron praised him.

"But...its all the way down there? How is it supposed to be a bridge?" Palpatine felt quite foolish asking all these questions.

Bazaron placed a hand on his shoulder and Palpatine turned to him. "Remember what I told you earlier?"

Palpatine nodded.

"There is something within both of us that defies our very world. It is a Force that divides its power amongst the world, yet it is different for each being. It is the decider, it calls for us, gives us a unique purpose, and ensures equilibrium throughout the galaxy." Bazaron almost whispered. "It has been called a deity, a philosophy, hocus pocus nevertheless...galaxy wide it is known as the Force."

"The Force?" Palpatine scoffed but his cynicism evaporated when he felt Bazaron's fingernails sink into his shoulder.

"Palpatine, let us start simple, shall we?" Bazaron guided Palpatine to face the hollow cave. "Close your eyes." Palpatine glanced at Bazaron but still obeyed. "Imagine a bridge to close the gap. Do you have its image in your mind?"

Palpatine gave a hesitant nod. "Yes." This is foolery.

"Now, withdraw into your feelings. Your mind. Your very soul." Bazaron went on. Palpatine was tempted to open his eyes but resisted. "Lift that bridge you witnessed earlier."

Palpatine tried to suffocate his skeptical feelings. "That's impossible." He muttered.

Despite Palpatine's skepticism he still listened. Bazaron had told him he was not a Jedi but had powers like the Jedi. Trust him. He knows his craft. Bazaron oozed an aura of power, but it was simply hard to believe Palpatine himself had such powers.

Palpatine's hand outstretched to the cavern, yet his fingers were angled towards himself.

The image of the bridge was blurry at the edges, but it soon began to solidify. His mind was drifting, the world within himself had no sturdy ground. Focus. Palpatine latched onto the image, willing himself not to wander.

Creak.

The groan of durosteel moving—lifting. Palpatine was tempted, so tempted to look.

Bazaron reminded him. "Keep your eyes closed, Palpatine."

Palpatine gritted his teeth as another creak echoed throughout the cavern. A peek. Just a peek. A peek won't hurt. Palpatine let his eyes squint open, and the image of the bridge flitted from his mind.

To his great awe the durosteel bridge was floating in midair! Palpatine glanced from his outstretched hand to the bridge. I'm doing this? I'm causing this?!

A few split seconds later the suspended bridge came crashing down. Palpatine stared down at the bridge as it settled at the bottom of the cavern. "I...I was making it float?"

Bazaron nodded. "Yes, you were...momentarily, until you opened your eyes and lost focus."

Palpatine swallowed at those words. "My apologies, Bazaron, I was just curious...I couldn't help it."

Bazaron laughed. A true laugh. A slightly anxious look dawned on Palpatine's face.

Bazaron reassured him. "Palpatine, never apologize for acting on your feelings. Unlike the Jedi you do not have to fear any prosecution from me. I believe in freedom and passion. Both of which I will never deprive of you."

Bazaron paused and held his hand out to the void. "This test showed you what you are capable of and what your limits are. And where you must improve."

Bazaron flicked a single finger.

With ease the bridge sprang from the depths. It came to rest on the far ledge and the ledge they stood on. Palpatine gazed in wonder, his eyes shifting from Bazaron's hand to the bridge.

"None of the others have ever succeeded on that test. I didn't expect you would either," Bazaron concluded as he began to tread on the durosteel bridge leading to the entrance.

Palpatine followed on Bazaron's left side. He inquired with a trace of uncertainty. "There were...others?"

Bazaron replied coolly, "If you are to succeed on the mission, I am about to trust you with, there will be no need for more others."