Chapter 16 | Dark Artifacts

"I don't like this one bit," Master Sincer admitted as she, Sifo-Dyas, and Qui-Gon descended the twisted spiral staircase into the Sith Shrine that lay below the Grand Jedi Temple.

"Me neither," As they reached the final landing, and Sifo-Dyas turned to Master Sincer, "Do you have any idea why Master Yoda and the Jedi Guards aren't doing this?"

Master Sincer explained, "They're trying to extinguish the fire in the Archives at the moment. And...they think we're the best team to find out what exactly the arsonist is doing down here."

She paused and took in a breath as she looked around the Sith Shrine. "Perhaps we may also find whatever killed poor Master Denth Cruz. Although the Jedi Guards are taking care of that one, its likely a poisonous creature that snuck in somehow." Sincer went on, "Hopefully the perpetrator or perpetrators may be down here. Yoda thinks so at least and hopefully we'll find them."

"Really?" Qui-Gon perked up at that. "That's so awesome! Master Yoda actually thinks we're going to find this wrongdoer!"

Master Sincer went on as they ducked behind a few crates. She peered over, "Yes, well, they want to see if they can consider..." Master Sincer glanced at Sifo-Dyas, "—this hot shot over here for a...higher position."

Sifo-Dyas' eyes lit up, "Are you serious? Sincer...I...I'm going to be a Jedi Master?"

"If you cut the chatter, you may have a chance," Master Sincer told him.

Qui-Gon whispered as they snuck around the tilting Sith Shrine. "Does anyone have an idea who the arsonist is?"

Master Sincer glanced at Qui-Gon and then to Sifo-Dyas, "Well, I heard, someone let a civilian into the temple. Again. Does that ring a bell, Sifo?"

Sifo-Dyas coughed and didn't acknowledge her accusation, "Well, I'm not the one who has a padawan which likes to vandalize the Jedi Temple in her free time."

Master Sincer scoffed, "I said I would deal with Vatari's insolence later. Why do you have to rub it in? I've done my best, she's simply...difficult...but very sweet." She paused and huffed. "At least I know she's not going to do anything as destructive as burning down the Jedi Archives!" She was checking her lightsaber. "How about that random civilian, Sifo-Dyas?"

Sifo-Dyas laughed. "Oh, he's not going to be a problem. Look, he was definitely lying when he said he knew where Dooku was, but you know...kids get curious. The Jedi Temple should be something that everyone can enjoy, you know, Sincer."

Master Sincer insisted. "He might be a problem. Tell me his name."

Sifo-Dyas shrugged. "He's some Youth Senator. I think the name was Pawpatina?"

Master Sincer laughed. "Palpatine? Never mind then. A slight breeze could knock that kid off his feet. Poor kid, he was one of the hostages from that terrorist attack. He was scared out of his mind."

Qui-Gon cut in, "But we can't rule out anyone, can we? He could be the—" Qui-Gon's words were drowned out by their laughter.

Master Sincer added after they finished laughing about that pathetic Naboo Youth Senator, "I bet it's that guy again. The one that killed all those terrorists. He burnt down the Archives and now he wants something from down here. But what?" Sifo-Dyas and Qui-Gon nodded along.

They kept pacing around, ducking behind Sith artifacts. Some of the artifacts were statues which had vicious leers while others were objects whispering dark secrets.

After a few more minutes of sneaking around the Shrine with no progress Sincer suggested, "Let's split up. I'll take Qui-Gon and you, Sifo, go alone. We'll meet back here in say...an hour." They went back and forth a few times before agreeing. Then they both went their separate ways.