Chapter 8 | The Formidas Residence

The Formidas were anything but modest. Their residence had thirty rooms, grand ceilings, luxurious furniture, and countless art pieces displayed around the penthouse.

In the dining room, pillars stretched high over their heads. The dining table was large enough to seat an entire battalion and only five people were seated at the table.

Before they had even sat down at the table Bazaron had excused himself and disappeared somewhere in the penthouse.

Bazaron is a curious man. A curious man that Palpatine wanted to know, to speak to. He was much more than an opera writer, of that Palpatine was certain. The mask, the hiding, the odd behavior, it was all so fascinating to the young Naboo. Who exactly is he?

Formidas sat at the head of the table conversing with Rau Amedda in hushed voices. Palpatine, Jaxious and an awkward Chagrian, the son of Rau Amedda sat together at the far end.

"Hey, guys...so you, guys, were at the Model GR, right?" Mas Amedda attempted to initiate another conversation, having his three other topics fall flat.

Palpatine had been relying on Jaxious to bear the burden of small talk for both of them, but Jaxious was uncharacteristically silent. The Gorrento kept glancing at Mas Amedda and poking at his Corellian steak.

Palpatine feigned a friendly face and answered, "Yes." He shoveled another spoonful of Alderaanian potatoes onto his plate. Palpatine cleared his throat and set his utensils down, "What of it?"

Mas Amedda looked at his father then his gaze shifted back to the two young adults, "You see I'm sixteen and well...my father wants me to apply to the Youth Senator program." Anxiety was in his voice, "I saw the whole thing on the HoloNet. You guys got held hostage by the Shadow Skulls. Yikes."

Palpatine leaned back and folded his hands on his lap. "Your father is a governor, correct?" Mas Amedda nodded. "Do you even have a choice about joining?" Mas Amedda gulped at Palpatine's words.

"I guess not." Mas Amedda paused, "Look, I don't want to let him down, but I don't want to die either."

Palpatine let out a bitter laugh. Amedda stared at him. Palpatine continued more cordially, "Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about. What's happened to Jaxious, and I was very novel. The likelihood of that happening to anyone else is spectacularly low."

Palpatine paused, "Meeting those terrorists was just an unfortunate run in with fate." Jaxious remained silent as Palpatine went on, "I suggest you still apply. It's worth it."

Amedda stared down at his plate, seemingly light years away. The Chagrian muttered, "Yeah, I guess that makes sense."

"It does make sense. I promise you," Palpatine insisted politely.

Formidas stood up with her palms on her table. Her gaze settled on her son and Palpatine. "Jaxious, Palpatine. Leave us."

Palpatine glanced at the two politicians wondering why they were sending the youth out of the room. Rau Amedda nodded to his son, Mas Amedda stood up alongside the other young adults.

Palpatine and Jaxious departed the room with Mas Amedda following uncertainly behind.

They entered a room decorated in muted blues and reds with a sunken seating area. Instead of walls there were windows including an entrance to the wraparound balcony.

Skyscraper lights shone like thousands upon thousands of glittering stars in the evening. The Opera House was very close and its neon lights could be seen from the Formidas resistance.

Jaxious clicked a button at the center of the seating area turning on HoloNet. Flickering images were transmitted high above their heads.

Thousands of blue pixels formed the famed Coruscanti HoloNet News host, Volar Bling and his co-host Immise Paumer.