Chapter 31 | On the Hook

Mairda took Palpatine by the arm and steered him away from Veicre. "Sheev, keep walking," Marida ordered her little brother.

Veicre called after them, "Aye, Marida, is that how you treat an old friend?" Palpatine dared to glance over his shoulder as they rushed through the crowd. Veicre had a grin spread across her face.

Palpatine whispered to Mairda, "Face her. She has found you and surely, she won't stop." Mairda kept her gaze firm and ahead without glancing in his direction. Palpatine said, "Mairda, you know I speak the truth."

Mairda threw a meek glance to her brother before pivoting to the Ohnaka gang. The crowd parted as the Weequays approached the two Naboos.

"Leave us," Veicre commanded her crew and they all scrambled away except the child and his nasty pet Kowakian. Palpatine grimaced inwardly at its bat-like ears and horridly twisted face. The child stood stubbornly by her side. "Hondo..." Veicre hissed, "Go with your father."

Veicre glanced at the Naboos and then back up at her, "Ah, understood...mother." Hondo obeyed and followed the gang. His nasty Kowakian jeered and cackled on his shoulder.

"So, that's your kid?" Mairda inquired.

Veicre bristled with pride, "Yes, my very own."

"Surprising..." Mairda remarked.

"I would say the same for you." Veicre smirked, "My my, Mairda Palpatine settling down. Never crossed my mind." She took a step towards Mairda, "And who is the lucky fiancée?"

Mairda steeled herself, "Veicre, I suggest you do not take another step further and that you and your little gang leave this station immediately."

Veicre laughed, "Ah, Mairda! Why the threats? We are friends, aren't we?" She took another step.

Mairda said behind gritted teeth, "We are not friends, Veicre." She said to Palpatine, "Let's go."

From behind Veicre looped her arms around Mairda and Palpatine's shoulders. "Bah, Mairda! Of course, we are!" she turned to Palpatine, "Ah little Sheev!" Palpatine stiffened at the nickname. "I haven't seen you since..." Veicre thought to herself, "Ah never! Mairda always spoke highly of you. Say..."

Such insolence!

Mairda snapped at Veicre and shrugged her arm off, "Don't talk to my brother, Veicre," Mairda crossed her arms firmly over her chest. Palpatine went by her side.

Veicre threw up her arms, "Mairda. Mairda. I'm not all bad, my friend. Your brother seems as...lovely as you." She waved a hand, "And anyways, I would be a terrible friend if I didn't congratulate you on your wedding...and well, of course, attend it."

Palpatine cut in, "Veicre...you are not welcomed here, and you are a wanted criminal." He held a hand over his HoloBand, "I am more than happy to call security and alert those fourteen systems of your position if you do not leave, now."

Veicre laughed, "So you will." She crossed her arms and glared at them, she repeated menacingly "So, you will..." Veicre tilted her head, "Go on, call them."

Palpatine hesitated, his index finger hovering over the call button. Why is she not at all worried? He furrowed his brows.

Veicre insisted, "Well, go on, my friend! Call them if you so wish."

Mairda gave Veicre a look before giving a knowing glance at her brother. She has something up her sleeve.

Veicre's face lit up with remembrance and she held up a finger, "Ah, actually. Before you bring all those yutzes down here. I have something to present to you, my dear friend Mairda." She stuck her leathery hand inside her coat with a devious smile spread on her face.