Chapter 9 | The Dark Side Beckons

Palpatine was left alone while Jaxious and Senator Formidas finished up their goodbyes. He stood out on the balcony, gazing out into the Coruscant night.

The Works industrial grey fumes scarred the night sky. The skyscrapers of the Uscru District were all too bright. Speeders were an eternal stream of red blurs. The bustling of people and droids alike underneath him never ceased.

Palpatine didn't want to admit it, but he missed Naboo. He missed the times when he would gaze out onto the sleepy residences of Naboo. Palpatine yearned to see the little lights twinkling in the distance, the trees swaying in the wind and the seas glittering under the gaze of Naboo's three moons.

Naboo was full of natural life, lush fields, and beautiful beaches very unlike Coruscant with its glaring towers and smoldering skies.

Although he missed the world of Naboo, he did not miss his home. Palpatine loathed that vineyard his parents so dearly loved and the house he had spent a decade bound to. Palpatine had yet to receive the final date for his sister's wedding but already was dreading the day he would return.

Amongst the cutthroat world of Coruscant lay an opportunity absent on Naboo. Palpatine could create a life where he could be so much more than a vineyard boy. Palpatine knew that Naboo could never give him the glory he sought.

The path to glory lay in becoming a leader, a senator.

However, to become the senator of Naboo was no easy task with someone like Senator Brik Delos opposing you for the office. Delos was beloved, kind, and genuinely friendly even to the Gungans. Although Delos was too trusting in the world of politics, his one downfall.

Even so Delos's warmth and charm was something Naboo treasured. But Palpatine had something Delos didn't, the ability to create change.

Would Naboo want a senator to be like that? Would they embrace an ambitious and determined boy who had much more in mind than tradition? No, it was out of the picture.

Palpatine's hands formed into fists. Delos was the one thing in his way from achieving his first goal. The second, of course...was cheating death, but that was more off to the side since it was virtually impossible.

If Palpatine wanted to have a good life he would have to thwart Delos... somehow. The somehow, he had to figure out.

Something washed over Palpatine. Something stirred deep within the deepest and darkest corner of his heart.

"Sheev Palpatine?" a voice asked from behind. Palpatine turned to see Bazaron standing against the darkness. "Reflecting, are you?"

Palpatine turned to face Bazaron, his back against the city lights. "There's not much to reflect upon." Palpatine told Bazaron drily.

Bazaron glided to Palpatine's side looking upon the lights of the city. "Oh, but there is." Bazaron paused. "A great many things have happened to you. A great many unfortunate things...I'm afraid."

"Yes, I would suppose so..." Palpatine stopped to glance down at his hands, "The good thing is I am alive." Palpatine turned back to the city.

Bazaron leaned on the railing, his cape billowing in the breeze. His mask faced the young Naboo. "You are alive, but are you well, young Palpatine?"

Palpatine grimaced at those words. His gaze lingered on the Jedi Grand Temple which stood against the night. The Temple's oppressive shadow shrouded the surrounding buildings.

Palpatine drew in a deep breath. "I am well...I just...it sounds irrational, but I never considered that everything could...end in a span of seconds." Palpatine paused and admitted. "Its...disturbing. I'm a fool."