Chapter 5 | Quarter Life Crisis

"—destruction of government property, physical violence, denigrating the Supreme Chancellor and the Vice Chairman, antagonizing fellow peers, causing either direct or indirect harm to other peers..." The Vice Chairman Jotruse droned on and on.

Palpatine and Ovirelt were sitting in the Vice Chairman's office which branched off from the Chancellor's suite. The Vice Chairman's office was composed of cool colors and luxurious furniture. Jotruse sat with his back to a glass window. Coruscant was brighter than ever.

The workplace had an air of frostiness. Perhaps it was the chilly choice of colors. Or it was the bitter feelings that were coming off Jotruse in tremendous waves. Palpatine twisted his ring and Ovirelt avoided any eye contact.

Jotruse set the HoloPad on the table, shaking his head and leaning back. Palpatine dared to glance up at the disgruntled Vice Chairman. Jotruse told them solemnly. "I'm going to tell you this straight: this is not looking good..."

Jotruse made sure he caught both of their gazes.

"...for either of you." The Vice Chairman steepled his hands and gazed up to the ceiling. "According to the inspectors the damages are going to cost a minimum of 66,000 credits each."

Palpatine's mouth almost dropped open, but he tried to restrain his surprise. 66,000? Can...can my parents even pay for that? I can't pay for that.

Ovirelt stood up and slammed her fists on the table. "That's outrageous. That's unfair! I refuse!" she refused.

Palpatine rolled his eyes. You have more than plenty of credits, you worthless credit squanderer.

Ovirelt jabbed a finger at Palpatine. "I shouldn't have to pay for this he should! He started this whole mess!"

Palpatine held a hand over his chest. "I did? You're one the one who tried to throw me off the pod!"

Ovirelt whipped around, "No, I didn't! It was an accident. Don't try to turn this on me! You're the one who started getting all uncivilized."

"Me? Uncivilized." Palpatine scoffed. "How amusing."

Jotruse stood and held up his palms trying to deescalate the situation. "It is final. There will be no negotiations over these terms." He folded his arms. "Next time think twice before you destroy a government facility."

A vein began to throb in Palpatine's neck, and his fist began to shake. Ovirelt appeared to share the same feelings. She seethed, "My mother will get you for this."

Jotruse told Ovirelt very flatly. "If you're mother is planning to sue the government, she will only be suing herself."

Ovirelt paused for a moment then shouted. "I WILL DESTROY YOU, JOTRUSE!" She spun on her heel and stalked out of the office.

Jotruse sighed deeply and held a hand to his temples. After a handful of uncomfortable moments Jotruse said to Palpatine. "Thank you, Palpatine, for being sane." He let out a mirthless laugh. "There should be more people like you in the political world. Thoughtful. Tame. Pleasant."

Palpatine nodded genially, biting back the words he was about to say beforehand. "My pleasure," he managed. Palpatine didn't know whether he should get up or stay.

Jotruse saw Palpatine's hesitancy and waved him away. "You're dismissed."

Palpatine scurried away and made sure to push in his seat unlike Ovirelt. As he reached the doorway, Jotruse stopped him. "Oh, I almost forgot."

Palpatine wavered as Jotruse sifted through his HoloPad and glanced up to the young Naboo.

Jotruse alerted him, "Ah, yes. Remember the payment is due in two days. Although the sooner the better. Thank you in advanced for your cooperation." A small smile split the Twi'lek's face.