Chapter 27 | Palpatine is Caught in a Lie...for Once

Palpatine went frigid. "Oh..." he trailed off. His mind was scrambling for an excuse, anything to counter this. He tried to mimic shock, "Oh my, how...unfortunate."

Officer Girris leaned back and crossed her arms, "Now, Sheev, how exactly did that happen?"

Palpatine said behind gritted teeth. "I would prefer to be called Palpatine."

Officer Girris scoffed. "Fine. Palpatine tell me how such an important chip went astray?"

"Did someone say my name?" a voice said from behind Palpatine. A pair of gloved hands rested on Palpatine's shoulders which made him flinch.

Officer Girris' eyes flickered up; mild surprise etched in her expression, yet she regained her composure. "Ah...Lady Palpatine. It's a pleasure to see you again."

"What business do you have with my grandson?" Lady Evory Palpatine, otherwise known as Palpatine's paternal grandmother inquired. His grandmother had her white hair tied back. Flecks of dirt on her wrinkled face. Palpatine concluded she must have been gardening somewhere nearby due to her attire. She looked over the officer with a steely gaze, her eyes were chips of ice.

"Your grandson was involved in a sky-rage incident with his brother and his in-law. That is why I am here." Officer Girris stated coolly.

"I see. Well, be gone. It's been dealt with. There is no need for your nosy kind to putter around here any longer." His grandmother insisted.

Officer Girris straightened herself. "You see, it has been dealt with, but your grandson did not deliver a report of my missing son to the Jedi Temple. I was simply inquiring about how things went astray."

"What I heard didn't sound like an inquiry." Lady Palpatine countered. "It sounded like an accusation."

Officer Girris set her HoloPad on the table and stood up to face Palpatine's grandmother. "Lady Palpatine, everything to you sounds like an accusation." Her voice sliced through the humid air.

Palpatine stepped away from his grandmother and composed himself once more. "Grandmother, please." His grandmother was about to speak again when she faltered. Palpatine sighed deeply. "Officer Girris, I am sure there is some sort of misunderstanding. I assure you, officer, I did indeed submit a missing report to the Jedi Temple. I will look into this immediately." Palpatine lied. He gave her a reassuring smile. "I will let you know when I discover what went wrong."

Officer Girris swept up her materials and tucked them into her bag. Her gaze swept over the grandmother and grandson. She said grimly, "I'll be waiting." Then she swept away towards the courtyard exit.

"Mrs. Girris?" Lady Palpatine called.

Officer Girris pivoted on her heel towards the silky voice of Palpatine's grandmother. "Do you have something to say, Lady Palpatine?"

"Oh, I simply want to know how your father's doing? He was almost convicted, wasn't he? Thank the Force, they discovered the true perpetrator." Lady Palpatine held a hand over her heart, "It would have been absolutely dreadful if that poor man had been thrown in jail."

Officer Girris' eyes went to the floor and then flickered back up again, "Yes it would be." She considered her next words. "Thanks to you...that didn't happen."

His grandmother laughed and waved it off, "You flatter me, Officer Girris. I was simply being a good citizen and it so happened my specialty was in venoms." She paused as if she was pondering something, "You should join us for dinner, officer. We would love to host you."

Officer Girris put a hand on the courtyard doorknob. "Oh, that's very sweet of you, Lady Palpatine but I must head back to the station."

His grandmother put a hand on the officer's shoulder, "Please, officer, even you must take time for yourself. Come, enjoy yourself. It will be perfectly splendid." She regarded Palpatine who was standing stiffly by her shoulder. "I'm sure Sheev will have found something out by then." Will I?