Chapter 29 | Murder Solves All Problems

"I'm a school nurse not a doctor!" Hearth shouted at the inquisitive Palpatines'. The dinner hall was in turmoil. Family members were shouting at each other and pointing at the body of Officer Girris. Lady Palpatine had dismissed everyone besides Hearth, Aronder, and Deivé. Palpatine stood listening by the door.

Palpatine's father snatched up a tablet. He struggled to type because of his sweaty fingers. Aronder managed to get out, "Let's just contact the police. Let's have them deal with this."

Palpatine's grandmother, Lady Evory Palpatine, motioned for silence and commanded Aronder to put down the tablet, "No. No one will be calling the police."

"Why on Naboo not, mother!" Deivé cried out, "There's a dead body in our house! We have to." She glanced at her brother. "Mother is mad. Dial the police. We are not going through this a second time."

"Aronder. Deivé," their mother hissed. "You will listen to your mother, and you will listen carefully. We are not calling the police." She paused and gave her children a scathing look. "Do you two understand?"

Aronder spat, "No, I quite frankly don't." he went on, "Why are we not calling the police? They helped us when father met his conveniently unfitting end, didn't they?" Aronder arched an eyebrow.

Conveniently unfitting end? Palpatine leaned a little into the doorframe. He could sense the anger roll out of the room and crash over him. It was delightful.

Palpatine's grandmother, Evory glanced at Hearth, and she turned back to her son, "Well, we don't want to attract attention. We've had the police come here enough times. It's embarrassing, Aronder."

"Oh, its embarrassing?" Deivé put a hand over her heart and scoffed, "It's embarrassing our father died? Is that what you're getting at, mother?"

"Stop twisting my words you, ungrateful brat," Evory spat at her daughter. Palpatine felt his own insides writhe. Palpatine never particularly favored his aunt, yet even he felt sympathy for his aunt, a bit.

The room felt like a cloudy sky preparing to unleash a vicious storm. Forked lightning sparking a deadly flame.

Hearth's mouth hung agape, his head swiveling from the mother to the daughter. Evory pivoted to Hearth and smiled sweetly.

She seemed very aware of her vicious behavior, and she ordered Hearth. "Predune and Mairda need help fixing the bay window, Hearth. Would you be a dear and help them?"

"Uh, of course...Lady Evory." Hearth made a little bow and then started for the door, the door Palpatine was hiding behind.

Fark. Palpatine's eyes darted around the hall but there were no hiding spots to be seen. Palpatine flattened himself against the wall hoping that Hearth wouldn't notice. Although he still devised a backup plan in case Hearth did.

"In-laws..." Hearth grumbled as he exited. His neck turned to the not very well hidden Palpatine. "Sheev? What are you doing?" He glanced from the elder Palpatines to his brother-in-law then he sighed as realization hit him. "Really, Sheev?"

"What?" Palpatine paused, "I was simply curious since I discovered the body as well."

Hearth shook his head. "Come on, Sheev." He took his brother-in-law by the arm and dragged him along.

"Hearth, I'm not harming anyone. You needn't drag me away." Palpatine protested.

"You're lucky I'm not turning you into your father." Hearth spat. He blinked a few times before he realized what he said. Hearth sighed letting go of Palpatine. "I'm sorry, Sheev, I shouldn't have said that. Its just—fark! Why is your grandmother preventing them from calling the police? It's unbelievable!"

Star Wars: How to Become a Galactic EmperorOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara