Chapter 3 | The MODEL GALACTIC REPUBLIC

Palpatine sat leaning back in his pod's chair. He was staring down at his inferiors who squandering over meager issues in the Galactic Senate. "Despicable morons..." Palpatine said under his breath. Palpatine used the back of his hand to rub his eye. He kept awake and alert through pure will and the Raging Rancor he had gulped down in the Main Lounge.

Palpatine had spent the night in his apartment staring up at the ceiling, his thoughts had been racing. When he picked up his book last night the words did not register in his mind. Nor did the images flashing across the HoloPad catch his gaze. The meaningless words of discussion that had drifted down the Youth Senate Apartment Complex halls but even that didn't interest him.

Palpatine felt frozen in time but by what? That remained unclear to him. There was an unspoken feeling that flooded his senses, a feeling yet to be named.

The memory of a cool blaster pressed to his head less than 24 hours ago washed over him. The hairs on the back of his neck prickled. Yet he pushed the memory out of his mind.

You must focus. It's going to start any minute. The Grand Convocation Chamber echoed with yells and whispers. Thousands upon thousands of Youth Senators awaited the beloved Chancellor Harrow.

The Vice Chairman, Jotruse toyed with his fingers. His flustered blue face flushed purple as he kept assuring the assembly that the Chancellor would arrive soon.

Suddenly there was a BOOM! Palpatine sprang from his seat. Girris, his guard, who was in an arm cast behind him stood up ready for Palpatine's command. The other Youth Senators reacted likewise to varying degrees. Some glanced up nervously at the ceiling while others were kicking and screaming.

Jotruse wretched the HoloMic from a meager assistant on the Chancellor pod. He tapped it with urgency causing a grating feedback sound echo across the Convocation. "YOUTH SENATORS! YOUTH SENATORS I BEG OF YOU! REMAIN CALM! THERE IS NO CAUSE FOR ALARM!"

Across the room Jaxious made eye contact with Palpatine, a quick flicker of suspicion. All the Youth Senators seemed to share a hive mind, the rest sharing dubious looks and grumbling with cynicism.

Jotruse's eyes glanced up from his HoloPad. "The Chancellor is slightly late since the Gungan representatives have just arrived..." Palpatine's mouth fell agape.

Gungans? Here? No...

Jotruse wasn't finished. "The Gungan representatives will be unable to attend because they, uh, crashed their shuttle into the...building..." Palpatine breathed easier.

Palpatine twisted his ring as his anxiousness rose. He jumped when a voice other than Girris spoke from behind. "Palpatine, is it?"

"I am he." Palpatine verified. He side glanced at an older dark-haired woman who sat down beside him. "And who are you?"

"Your worst enemy." Palpatine stared at her when she uttered that. A split second went by then the woman laughed. "The name is Senator Formidas. I am your mentor." Senator Formidas offered her hand to Palpatine.

Despite her odd presentation, Palpatine shook her hand. Perhaps it was due to her concise voice or her neat demeanor. Senator Formidas had a sagacious aura that he couldn't quite put into words. "It's a pleasure to meet you, senator." Is all he stated.

Senator Formidas inquired. "The Chancellor has yet to arrive?" Palpatine nodded. She tutted and turned to him. "All flash but no substance...hmph. I suppose you already know that already." Palpatine gave a more hesitant nod.

Palpatine truly didn't know what to say. He shifted himself in his seat an imperial inch away from Senator Formidas. A few long seconds passed until Palpatine looked up at the sudden uproar from his fellow peers.