Chapter 39 | A Naboo Masquerade: Palpatine is terrible with women

A/N: It's a bit on the longer side but bear with me!

"Oh, boy! Wait, so the Naboo have a masquerade wedding reception ball tradition." Jaxious was bubbling over with excitment. "That's so awesome!"

"Yes. Yes." Palpatine said shortly and he kept trying to wave him away, "And we all have to dress in disguisable outfits in..." he looked down at his HoloBand, "In less than an hour. So..." Palpatine kept glancing towards his bedroom door, but Jaxious was just not catching the hint.

"But why? Why would you have a masquerade ball for a wedding?" Jaxious plopped down on Palpatine's bed which made Palpatine twinge.

Palpatine's eye began to twitch. Jaxious sprawled out in his formal attire which had been Force knows where. "Street clothes..." he mumbled under his breath. "I will explain once you remove yourself from my bed."

Jaxious glanced down to the crisp covers and instantly jumped up, "Oh yeah, sorry." He sat down on a chair nearby, his knee bouncing and his eyes intent on Palpatine.

"It's quite fine," an insincere smile split his lips. You should be. He took a step towards Jaxious, towering over him. "Why do you ask? Well...hm." Palpatine lowered himself into a chair and thought for a moment. He spun around in his chair. "It's been done all my life. The couple never wears masks. Everyone else reveals their identities after midnight." He touched his chin. "I assume the reason is that the couple are the most important part. The whole day is about them and everyone else is insignificant." Palpatine shrugged.

Jaxious nodded along, "So, I see." He beamed at Palpatine, "There's dancing, right?"

"Of course, this is Naboo, is it not?" Palpatine laughed. "Dancing, arts, singing, instruments, gaudy outfits...that is the definition of Naboo."

"Do you not like it?"

"It's fine," Palpatine said. He loved it.

"So...about the dancing...we don't know who each other are?" Jaxious leaned forward in his seat towards Palpatine.

Palpatine gave him a puzzled look, "Ehm...yes. That's the purpose of a masquerade ball, Jaxious."

Jaxious pumped a fist in the air, "YES!"

Palpatine almost scoffed but didn't. He instead furrowed his brows and peered at Jaxious, "What's all the excitement for?"

"Maybe Ovirelt will dance with me!" Jaxious chirped.

Palpatine let out a deep sigh and put a hand to his temples.

"What?" Jaxious gave him a look, one of pure naivety and bewilderment. "Why that face?"

Palpatine stood up and walked over to Jaxious, "Good luck, Jaxious," he said putting a hand on his shoulder. Palpatine started discreetly pushing Jaxious in the direction of the door. "Unfortunately, I must prepare. I must be there thirty minutes beforehand."

Jaxious gave Palpatine a curt nod before he stepped over the threshold. Just as Palpatine was about to close the door, Jaxious edged it open with his hand. He gulped before he asked, "Are you going to dance?"

Palpatine let out a short laugh, "No." He started edging the door close, "I will see you shortly, Jaxious." Palpatine said. Jaxious gave him a nod before treading down the hall. With a bit of a slam, Palpatine shut the door.

~*~

The twin moons traced the Palpatine vineyard in a spectral glow. Hanging lights dipped in long strings of thin wire over the glowing patio. It was a blur of colors, the dancers, each teetered on their toes, barely pausing to catch their balance as they spun and whirled created a flourish of hues. The instruments sung far across the lake, singing the moons to slumber. In the center of the myriad, the married couple danced.