one

[Play: Him and Hym-Banana Fish]

I'm not the most social person in the world. I tend to keep to myself and only talk when spoken to. Not like I'm a loser or scared of people. I'm simply just not the most extroverted person in the world. So when I met Mikasa about a year ago on a whim at the coffee shop we used to work summers in, I didn't expect myself to get closer to her months later.

When I worked summers in Shinganshina, I was just a senior in high school. I went to a high school in Trost but I lived far from there. My dad and I moved to Forks when I started my freshman year of college and we live in a small, comfortable home, surrounded by tall trees. A gloomy atmosphere, sure. But I find it rather peaceful.

I met Mikasa during my last summer working there. I usually worked summers since I was old enough to work and it was always at that coffee shop. So when, Levi, the owner and manager, told me that a new hire was coming to work for the summer, I wasn't particularly excited or deflated.

She entered with a calm, stoic expression. She was serious about working. I could tell. But over time, she started to crack jokes or chuckle at mine. She would touch my shoulder when she was cracking up or call my name from across the room to ask me for help. I soon saw that her comfort being here relied on me. And I was flattered. Maybe that's what sparked our friendship too. She was just too cute. When I first saw her, my first impression was that this girl was going to give others a hard time. She held an intimidating stare and her features were cutthroat and a little off-putting to a person with a brighter attitude.

But seeing her melt into the routine of working here and cracking jokes with me and Levi, who I found out is her uncle, just made me adore her, honestly. I've never felt such a strong desire to simply smile at someone for the sense of being comforting or fixing their hair when a strand was out of place. But those things came naturally to me when it came to Mikasa. She's someone I consider a close friend.

The first time Mikasa and I hung out alone, she invited herself over to my old house in Shiganshina. Of course, I gladly accepted her. And so did my parents when they weren't arguing over dishes and other trivial things that kept them from actually discussing the root of their issues with each other.

She walked into my room and her face lit up as she curiously looked around as if she was in a museum. Getting to know her felt the same. She wiggled herself into my life and managed to peel away at my layers and with that, she knows so much about me. Little things. Things like me not liking mustard on hot dogs or disliking the smell of burned coffee and offering to clean it out herself. Or her picking up on the fact that my favorite color is dark, sultry green. And her gifting me small things for my room. One time, she bought me double-sided tape for a poster of mine because one corner was starting to lift.

And small things like that made me appreciate her and our friendship a lot more. I simply love Mikasa in such a pure-hearted way. And I feel like I could really be myself around her. She's an amazingly loyal friend and from looking at her, I could tell she is so passionate about the people she loves and also passionately loves them just as much.

 The catch with Mikasa is that she's actually, rather social. She's mentioned her friends here and there. I only remember catching the names Armin, Sasha, Annie, and Jean. Those are the only ones she's mentioned in a funny story or when she wants to gossip. I'm sure she has more friends. She tends to hang out with them after school.

We're heading into our sophomore year at Paradis University. In my freshman year, I was a commuter. Which means I didn't live on campus. But with Mikasa and I growing closer, she convinced me to room with her for sophomore year. I haven't started packing since we're on summer vacation as of last week. But she's been giving a lot of suggestions for our near-campus apartment, which my dad only agreed to pay for if the cost was split with my mother. She reluctantly agreed.