twenty three

A/N: I know I said that colt and yn met in eighth grade but whuteverrrrr- ian :3

☆☆☆☆☆

Five Years Ago: Shiganshina/Trost

I woke up with the urge to throw up. Luckily, it was a quiet morning. My first day of highschool. In middle school, I wasn't the most social. I just had a friend or two. Never too much. And the people I was friends with weren't the most talkative or well liked either...

I was content at the time with not being a well known person. As long as I wasn't bothered. I hope that highschool can treat me with the same grace. But I doubt it.

I swallowed nervously as I stared at my ceiling, not wanting to get out of bed and face a new world that was other teenagers with lives that outshine puny freshmen like myself. I sighed before heading into the bathroom and getting ready for the day.

I came back out and went into my closet because I didn't excitedly pick out my first day of school outfit. I wasn't excited. I was shitting myself, actually.

I landed on casual jeans and a sweater with sneakers. I did my hair the best I could. I didn't want to look too messy for the first day. Just because it's my first day ever at this school.

Mom and Dad wanted me to go to another highschool out of our district because they said it increases the chances for better college opportunities. I want to go to Marley U. So, I hope that by the time I'm a senior, I did well enough.

I slung my bookbag over my shoulder before heading downstairs. I see Mom cooking a quick breakfast. My plate was already made. She looked stressed. Barely did her hair but she had her work uniform on. Dad watched TV on his chair that no one was allowed to touch or sit in.

Mom turns around and catches a glance at me. She approved of my outfit. That's good. I glanced at Dad before I heard Mom sigh. I sat down and began to eat my food.

"Can you get some eggs and milk before I come back from work or is that too much to ask for?" She asks Dad from across the kitchen. Dad sighs.

"Why is it always a fight with you?"

"I'm not fighting–"

"You are. If you would've just asked me without a fucking attitude then–"

"Don't cuss at me like you're my father. I ask you to do one simple task and here you go huffing and puffing–"

"I wasn't huffing and puffing I was just commenting on your slick ass comments. You're rude, you know that?"

"You sound like your mother–"

"Well, maybe it's because she's right–"

"I have to be in school in twenty minutes. Who's dropping me off?" I cut the two of them off from arguing further. They look at me before looking at the other person. Mom slams the dirty pan in the sink.

"Your father can take you." She storms off before going upstairs. I look at Dad, who watched TV.

"Are you gonna take me or do I have to take the bus?" I ask him calmly. He glances at me before standing up.

"...No. Let's go," He tells me before grabbing the keys. I stand up and take my bookbag before following behind him. I closed the door gently so that I didn't upset Mom. Dad unlocks the car and I get in the front seat before putting my seatbelt on.

This morning was humid and foggy. Early September weather was always short of nostalgia for school days. It isn't the first day if you aren't freezing cold and the sun shines on your face and the car windows are fogged up with condensation.