Chapter 5: Retake

Viper walked into the command center where Brimstone was reviewing some reports. Her steps were measured, and her face composed, masking the storm of emotions swirling within her. She needed to address the situation calmly and professionally, even if her personal history with Glitch was threatening to consume her thoughts.

"Brimstone," Viper began, her voice steady. "A moment, please." 

Brimstone looked up from his desk, his expression a mix of surprise and curiosity. He motioned for Viper to take a seat, sensing the gravity of her demeanor. "You recruited Glitch without consulting me," Viper accused. "You know l that I have history with that agent. We should've discussed this decision together." 

Brimstone leaned back in his chair, clasping his hands behind his head. "I understand your concern, Viper, but I have my reasons. Based on what happened during the meeting, I could tell that you two have history. But apart from being the Radiant hunter in Canada (or c/n), other information about Glitch's past didn't come up during the recruitment process. I had no idea you knew each other. I apologize."

Viper's eyes flickered with a hint of understanding, though she still maintained her stern expression. "Or Cypher didn't tell you. Apology accepted. But my point remains. We are a team, and decisions like this should involve all of us, regardless of personal connections."

Brimstone nodded, acknowledging Viper's perspective. "You're right, Viper. I should have consulted with you.  But you need to understand the gravity of our situation. Omega earth is invading our world, and we need every capable agent we can get. Glitch has shown tremendous skills and experience in the training room, not less than any of us. We can't afford to dismiss that."

"You're right, Brimstone," Viper admitted, her voice softer. "I let my past hamper my judgment again. I'm sorry. If you think Glitch can contribute, then I will trust your decision."

Brimstone nodded, understanding the weight of Viper's compromise. "I appreciate your understanding. We have no idea what might come up, and we have to adapt quickly. Who knows, there might be another Glitch on the other side, aiding Omega earth's invasion. We need to be prepared for anything." 

"Then we'll deal with whatever comes our way," Viper said as she turned and walked towards the door. Viper couldn't shake the unease in her heart. Glitch's arrival had opened old wounds, reminding her of her regrettable past. As the door closed behind her back, she took a moment to calm herself down. But to her dismay, she found herself face to face with the last person she wanted to see in that moment.

"Is something wrong, Viper?" Omen's voice cut through the air, startling her. Viper turned abruptly, finding Omen unexpectedly standing in front of her. She composed herself quickly and asked, her voice tinged with concern, "Fre- I mean, Omen. Are you here to see Brimstone? I hope you weren't waiting for me to finish out here."

As soon as Omen heard the question, a searing pain lanced through his head, disrupting his thoughts. The echoes of voices and screams reverberated within him, distorting his perception. "Wait, what did you say? I'm hearing so many things," he replied with a voice trembling with unease. The cacophony of voices grew louder, overpowering the present moment. Flashes of a haunting past invaded his mind.

.

.

"AAAARRRGHH!"

"FRED!!!"

"Abort! Abort immediately!"

.

.

The memories ripped through him, leaving Omen disoriented and vulnerable.