Chapter 27: Illusions

(Note: A bit long, but I hope you like the little twist at the end.)

Lisbon, Portugal, Omega Earth

Within the desolate confines of an abandoned terminal in a Kingdom Industries warehouse, a teleporter ignited with an eerie blue luminescence. Gradually, the brilliance materialized into solid forms, revealing three distinct figures who materialized within the halo of light. 

Killjoy, Neon, and Reyna materialized from the teleporter, each poised with their weapons at the ready, prepared to respond to any potential ambush. Momentarily halting to absorb their unfamiliar surroundings, Neon and Reyna swiftly fanned out to extend their coverage. 

Meanwhile, Killjoy lowered her weapon and raised her smartwatch, activating the newly integrated cross-dimensional communications device in it. "Pathway algorithm successfully. The good guys have arrived," she reported crisply. 

Over their earpieces, Brimstone's voice sounded, "Alright, kid. Find out what they're up to. And if possible, confirm the location of our stolen Radianite, and get out. We don't want a fight."

Neon gracefully approached draped objects scattered across the room, their forms concealed under layers of fabric to shield them from the grip of dust and neglect. Gently lifting the fabric covers, she unveiled the hidden contents beneath, her voice laced with a playful tone. "Breaking and entering. What could go wrong?" she quipped, her eyes rolling with a playful glint.

Killjoy's lips quirked into a brief smile in response to Neon's jest. She then activated a holographic scanner on her smartwatch, enabling her to visualize the flow of Radianite energy saturating her surroundings.

The timbre of Brimstone's voice resonated once more, addressing them with a weight of urgency. "Trust me. If they're weaponizing Radianite, we've got bigger problems," he emphasized. 

"It's time to stop playing defense. Don't forget to-" Abruptly, Brimstone's voice faltered and fractured, the connection sputtering into distortion. 

"Brimstone?" Killjoy's tone brimmed with concern as she struggled to manipulate her smartwatch, attempting to reestablish the severed link. It would appear that something was interfering with their communication devices.

Reyna's keen gaze caught sight of something, an intrigue that compelled her to narrow her eyes and concentrate on the distant scene before her. Suddenly, a burst of crimson light materialized, demanding her attention, and in an instant, her breath hitched as she saw a hovering projectile hurtling toward them. Startled by the unforeseen threat, her instincts sprang into action, prompting her to nudge Killjoy aside and swiftly sidestep herself, eluding the path of the incoming projectile. "Move!" she exclaimed.

Seconds after coming into contact with the teleporter, the EMP disk exploded. The resultant EMP shockwave cascaded through the area, plunging them into darkness as a numbing power outage silenced their devices and surrounding technologies.

The trio was left momentarily dazed, and their alertness momentarily compromised. Shifting their gazes, they sought the source of this audacious attack. Their line of sight settled upon a distant figure, standing as the epicenter of this ambush—none other than Bilal.

Draped in the attire of an ATLAS commander, Bilal donned the emblematic uniform of authority. He leveled his Bulldog, a potent emblem of his intent. A forceful directive echoed from his lips, addressing the soldiers under his command, "Alpha agents identified. Move to suppress!"

Reacting to Bilal's orders, the ranks of ATLAS soldiers surged forth, their weapons poised and ready, unleashing a barrage of fire in the direction of the trio. In a swift reflex, the trio sought refuge behind cover, the staccato rhythm of gunfire ringing in their ears. Neon's voice dripped with sarcasm as she remarked, "They look friendly!"