Chapter 51: The Final Mission, Part II

(Hello. I know it's been a long while. But hey, I'm back :)  Really sorry to keep y'all waiting.)

Istanbul, Türkiye, Alpha Earth

Phoenix found himself wandering through the bustling streets of Istanbul. The city was vibrant yet foreign to him. The decision to leave the Valorant Protocol had been impulsive, and now he was left without a plan or a place to go back to. He didn't even have a way to return to the UK, let alone a place to stay there.

As he strolled through the labyrinthine streets, the language barrier weighed heavily on him. He couldn't speak Turkish, which made everything feel even more challenging. Regret crept in, making him wonder if leaving the Protocol had been such a good idea after all.

However, as if fate had other plans, an unexpected sight stopped him in his tracks. A man emerged from a car which stopped right in front of him. The figure looked strangely familiar, and Phoenix squinted to get a better look.

It was Chamber, or at least someone who looked remarkably like him. Phoenix's mind raced, contemplating whether to approach the man. What were the chances of seeing a familiar face in a foreign city like this?

Curiosity got the better of him, and he decided to take a chance. As he approached the man who bore a striking resemblance to Chamber, he couldn't help but wonder if this was a mere coincidence or a twist of fate. What would he discover about his former teammate in this unexpected... reunion?

Phoenix remained discreetly behind Chamber, treading lightly as he observed his every move. They continued down the labyrinthine streets of Istanbul, and the tension in Phoenix's chest grew with each step.

Finally, Chamber came to a halt in front of a building that seemed entirely unremarkable—a discreet Kingdom facility, tucked away in the heart of the bustling city. Phoenix had a sinking feeling that this was more than just a coincidence.

As Chamber exchanged words with a scientist on the small, nondescript street, Phoenix pressed himself against the corner of a nearby wall. When Chamber and the scientist made their way into the facility, Phoenix knew he needed to find a way to get inside as well. He scanned the area, looking for any sign or entrance that might grant him access. Perhaps there was a chance that he could use their technology, maybe even a teleporter, to finally find his way out of Istanbul.

.

.

.

Glitch materialized next to Chamber as his anger flared uncontrollably. Without hesitation, he delivered a furious punch to Chamber's face, sending him sprawling to the cold concrete floor. Chamber's glasses clattered down beside him, a sharp symbol of the impact.

For a moment, Chamber remained on the ground, unmoving. He then retrieved his fallen glasses and wiped them clean with a cloth from his pocket before he slowly rose, displaying an eerie calmness despite the violence directed at him.

Chamber had confessed to bearing responsibility for the devastation of the Everette-Linde research facility, resulting in the tragic loss of innocent scientists and workers. Hearing this, Glitch's rage flared and knew no bounds. "How could you, Chamber?" he roared. "I had friends there. They weren't even soldiers; they didn't deserve to die!"

In a tone filled with anger, Neon exclaimed, "I knew he couldn't be trusted!" The only things that relieved her, was the fact that her hunch about Chamber was right, and that Killjoy wasn't here to hear the news. She would have been devastated to know this.

Just then, Omen swiftly made his way beside Glitch, his silence a plea for restraint. As Glitch gazed at Omen, he remembered that the incident had affected his former mentor too. Although Omen didn't have features underneath his hood, it was apparent that he was broken.