Chapter 19: The Blackmailer

Two days ago

Manila, Phillipines

Knock knock

"Nicole, wake up," a gentle voice called from behind the door to her bedroom. Nicole groaned sleepily, pulling her blanket up to cover her head, trying to steal a few more moments of rest. But the world outside her cozy cocoon had other plans. Moments later, another knock echoed through the room. "You're going to be late for work. It's Monday, dear," the woman's voice persisted.

With a reluctant sigh, Nicole finally gave in and mustered the energy to get up from her warm bed. "I'm up, Lola (grandma)," she mumbled, her voice still carrying traces of sleep. She shuffled towards the door, her eyes squinting as they adjusted to the invading sunlight rays from the window.

As she opened the door, her eyes met the sight of an elderly woman, her face glowing with a bright smile. It was her beloved grandmother. "Breakfast is ready, dear. Come down and eat," she said, her caring voice laced with affection.

"Okay, Lola. I'll be there," Nicole replied, rubbing her eyes and stifling a yawn. She quickly made her way to the bathroom to freshen up, splashing cold water on her face to fully awaken her senses. After tidying up her hair, Nicole made her way downstairs, following the comforting aroma of breakfast that filled the air.

"Mornin'," a man said while watching the news on the TV, sitting by the dining table. Nicole took the seat across from him and greeted back, "Morning, dad," she said. As she sat down, grandma placed two plates of chicken adobo in front of them on the table. "Salamat, Lola," Nicole said gratefully. "Salamat, ina," her father followed, expressing his thanks in the local language. "Dig in!" grandma cheerfully responded.

As they began to eat, Nicole's father posed a question, "Anything new at work?" he asked, genuinely curious about her experiences. "Hmm, not really," she replied, taking a moment to think. "Nothing extraordinary, like flying cities or explosions, or encounters with Radiant terrorists," she continued, knowing her father's knack for dramatic stories.

Nicole chewed her food thoughtfully and swallowed before elaborating, "Not in Manila at least. Just this one syndicate called Zala Alshabah mysteriously got taken out in Morocco," she shared. Her work at K-SEC had taken her to various places, dealing with threats to human safety, but her current assignment seemed relatively quiet compared to some of her previous missions.

Grandma listened attentively, nodding approvingly at Nicole's response. She knew her granddaughter's work was challenging and risky, but she was proud of Nicole's commitment to making the world a safer place.

Nicole's father raised an eyebrow, impressed. "Morocco, huh? Quite the globe-trotter," he said with a hint of amusement. "You've always had a knack for taking on the tough cases. Though I suppose you didn't solve that one yet," he added, proud of his daughter's courage and determination.

 At the tender age of nineteen, Nicole was already a veteran of K-SEC, a branch renowned for its involvement in humanitarian efforts. Her passion for helping others and her exceptional skills had led her to be part of disaster relief missions in places like Venice, where she selflessly aided in the aftermath of calamities.

Despite her age, Nicole had already gained the respect and admiration of her colleagues. Her dedication and unwavering commitment to making the world a better place made her a true asset to the K-SEC team. Not only had she proved her mettle in the field, but she also actively participated in activities and projects between K-SEC and their parent company, Kingdom.

Nicole smiled, appreciating the support from her family. "Well, it's all part of the job," she said modestly. "I just hope I can make a difference wherever I'm needed," she added, her dedication evident in her words.