Chapter 16: Desires

The Headquarters, Alpha Earth

The training room reverted to its default terrain as the sparring session concluded. Walls and pillars retracted into the floor, transforming the area into an empty space. Glitch stood triumphantly. "Good game, Reyna," he called out. Across the room, a woman with a striking and exotic appearance, boasting long black and purple hair, closed the distance between them. The other agents referred to her as Reyna, a fitting name for someone of her presence.

As they walked towards the exit, Reyna commented, "You have interesting abilities." Glitch acknowledged her words, "Thank you. But I feel like you were holding back." He sensed that Reyna hadn't fought at her full potential. 

Upon reaching the prep area, furnished with lockers and couches, Phoenix greeted them with clapping hands. "Now that's what I call a show!" he exclaimed. "You won me free credits, Glitch. Do that again next time," Yoru said, displaying the credits he won from a bet with Jett. "You're so damn funny, Yoru," Jett pouted. "No offense, but I didn't think you were going to win against Reyna, Glitch. Damn," she continued. Glitch chuckled in response to the remark.

Reyna approached him closely, standing right behind him. "How exactly does your power work, Glitch? Is it you? or is it the suit?" she inquired. "It's both, actually. But mostly me. And aren't you being a little too close?" Glitch replied, feeling slightly uncomfortable with her proximity. 

Reyna smiled and brushed a hand on his back, "I wasn't sure if you were a Radiant. You don't smell like one," she remarked. Glitch was taken aback, not knowing that you could apparently distinguish between humans and Radiants by their scent. Reyna then brushed her fingers against his shoulder before walking away towards her locker.

Jett, her curiosity also piqued, expressed her intrigue, "Yeah, Glitch. I kinda understand what your powers do, but I don't know how it works," she said. Phoenix joined in, "The big man said you're not a Radiant, so what's the story?" he asked. Glitch placed his gun into his locker, closed it. "I'm a manmade Radiant," he said. The two seemed puzzled by his statement. "You a what now?" Phoenix asked for confirmation. "A manmade Radiant. You heard right. I was the product of an experiment," Glitch explained as he walked over to the two.

Yoru, relaxing with his legs stretched out on a couch, interjected, "Let me guess. They tried to create a Radiant," 

"Yup," Glitch confirmed. "Whoa... so, that's why Reyna couldn't tell?" Phoenix wondered. "Back then, the idea was to inject Radianite into a person's body. It was a disaster. The result of the experiment was Omen," Glitch revealed. "Omen?! Holy shit!" Jett exclaimed in surprise. Yoru even sat properly to listen this time. Reyna took a seat next to the other agents and gestured to a chair, suggesting that Glitch should sit before continuing.

Glitch dragged a chair and sat down in front of them, continuing the story. "You guys probably know that not every person's body has an affinity for Radianite. During the First Light incident, the ones that were compatible turned into Radiants, and the ones that weren't remained human. Omen wasn't one of the people who were compatible," Glitch explained. "And because you forced Radianite into his body, he became like that?" Jett asked. "Yes," Glitch answered, feeling a tinge of sadness in his recollection.

"And was your body compatible?" Reyna asked. "Not exactly. Instead of using raw Radianite, we used Radianite itself to create another source of energy. Then, we carefully adjusted the dose of that energy before injecting it into my body," Glitch explained. "So.. you don't have Radianite in your body like the rest of us?" Phoenix asked. "Not entirely true. We injected the Radianite after my body adapted to the energy we injected beforehand. It was a long and complicated process, but we succeeded," Glitch clarified.