Chapter 17: Upgrade

A few days later

The Headquarters, Alpha Earth

"Brim, hey... it's me. Sorry, I... I keep thinking about Everett-Linde. They were light years ahead of us with their LRC Program... it was sublime. The data on Radianite exposure, the biome acceleration... even in its failure, it can teach us so much. And yet, seeing the husk of the facility... it's the people... all those people... Brim, they weren't even soldiers, they were scientists! They didn't have a - a chance to -

Sorry. I - I have to go. Call me back, please."

Killjoy finished her voicemail and sent it to Brimstone. Moments later, a soft knock echoed in front of her door. Killjoy let out a loud sigh before getting off her bed and walking towards the door. As she opened it, she was met with the sight of Raze, holding a tray of soup and vegetable juice.

"Raze?" Killjoy asked, surprised by her friend's presence. Raze smiled, though a hint of worry lingered on her face. "Hey... can I come in?" she asked gently. "Ya... come in," Killjoy replied, stepping away from the door to let Raze enter.

"I made you some soup. No one's seen you the past few days," Raze said, placing the tray of food on Killjoy's desk. Killjoy had been isolating herself after a difficult incident, and her friends were concerned.

"Did Brim send you? He wants you to talk me into building that teleporter as soon as possible, right?" Killjoy speculated, knowing her boss's persistence.

Raze shook her head. "No, KJ. I came because I was worried about you," she said sincerely. Killjoy sat on her bed, pulling her legs towards her chest. Her heart felt heavy with emotions that she struggled to express.

"I can't stop thinking about it... sigh... I know it's been days since then... but I just can't," Killjoy attempted to speak. Raze sat down next to her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"It's okay. I mean, what happened there was not okay... but we'll figure something out, okay? And whoever caused it, we're gonna make them pay for it," Raze reassured her. Killjoy found solace in Raze's presence, and she rested her head on Raze's shoulder as tears streamed down her face.

"Let's take it slow... when was the last time you had a proper meal?" Raze asked, trying to ease the tension with a gentle smile.

"Two days ago? Someone knocked on the door and left some food there," Killjoy said. Raze was a bit surprised but glad that someone cared for her in her absence. "Was it sushi? Or some kind of Japanese lunchbox?" Raze asked. Killjoy looked at Raze, "That wasn't you, was it?" she asked, curious about the mysterious food delivery.

"We were hanging out at the training room, and we talked about you not showing up for a few days. Yoru suddenly left, saying that he had business," Raze explained, realizing that Yoru was the one who brought the food. "I didn't expect that. That's nice of him," Killjoy said, appreciating the unexpected kindness.

"Yeah... I know, right?" Raze replied, pleased to see Killjoy in better spirits. Raze then patted Killjoy on the back and encouraged her to eat. "The soup's gonna get cold. Hurry up and eat," she said, bringing the tray from the desk and putting it on Killjoy's lap.

"You made this? I didn't know you could cook," Killjoy remarked. Raze smiled, "I asked Sage to teach me," she said, taking a spoonful of soup and offering it to Killjoy. "I can feed myself!" Killjoy responded shyly, feeling a bit embarrassed by the gesture.

Raze chuckled softly, "Just relax and let me pamper you a bit," she said warmly, continuing to feed Killjoy with a caring smile.

.