Chapter 42: Pieces of the Puzzle, Part I

The Headquarters, Alpha Earth

Brimstone had summoned Iselin to his office for a meeting of importance. There were matters that she could provide crucial information on, and Iselin had agreed to Glitch's request to shed light on some matters for the Protocol.

As Iselin entered Brimstone's office, Brimstone stood from his chair. "Glad you're here. I was hoping you can tell us more about some things." 

Iselin nodded slightly, willing to provide information. "What would you like to kno-" Her words caught in her throat as her gaze settled on an unexpected sight.

Standing beside an agent she was not yet familiar with was a Radivore, one of the shadowy creatures that had been responsible for the traumatic incident she had experienced in Norway. Her heart raced, and she could feel her palm moisten with sweat as the memories of that harrowing encounter resurfaced.

Brimstone noticed the sudden change in Iselin's demeanor. Her expression had shifted from composed determination to one of fear and unease. He raised an eyebrow and asked, "Everything alright?"

The mention of Radivores seemed to weigh heavily on her mind, and Iselin couldn't help but voice her negative feelings towards them. "I can't stand Radivores," she admitted, looking away from the creature, Wingman. Her voice laced with the bitterness of her trauma.

Gekko, the agent sitting next to Wingman, sensed the tension. He spoke up, his tone calm and soothing. "Hey, uh... I heard about what happened in Norway. But Wings here isn't like other Radivores. My crew's on our side."

However, Iselin remained unconvinced by the statement. She disregarded Gekko's reassurance and turned her attention back to Brimstone. "Ask away," she said, her voice firm and determined.

Brimstone acknowledged her response with a nod and gestured for her to take a seat in front of his desk, next to Gekko and Wingman. Iselin complied, but her hostile gaze remained fixed on the Radivore. Wingman, feeling threatened, instinctively sought refuge behind Gekko. Despite sensing Iselin's animosity, Gekko tried to empathize with her and held no ill will.

As Iselin settled into her seat, Brimstone began, "As you can see, our newest agent, Gekko, was responsible for releasing these creatures from a Kingdom facility in LA during a study tour." Iselin's eyes widened at the mention of 'these,' implying the existence of more Radivores. She narrowed her gaze and continued to listen. Brimstone proceeded, "Killjoy and Neon have discovered that Kingdom is conducting a special project called Project Landfall. I sent Raze to infiltrate the facility but haven't heard from her yet. Are you familiar with it?"

Iselin nodded in response. "According to information from Ståljeger's informant, Kingdom is researching the origins of the creatures. Ursa team-... my team and I, were assigned to escort a Project Landfall scientist to the Vault in Norway and oversee the extraction and transport of a 'special item'. What we encountered there was far from pleasant."

Gekko chimed in with a relaxed tone, "You know, when I was in LA for that study tour, it was clear as day that not all Radivores got the same treatment. Wings... Dizzy... Mosh... Thrash... they all got the short end of the stick, being put through torture and experiments and all that. They were kept in rooms where visitors can see them. But, when I sneaked around the back, I found bigger, scarier Radivores, the ones they hid away."

Iselin shared her thoughts in a straightforward manner, "Regardless of their size or how they look, Radivores are dangerous. They were the ones responsible for the deaths of Norwegian scientists and my Ståljeger sisters. It's unclear who or what else they might harm in the future."