Part 1

"You are mine." The demeaning voice on the phone sent shivers down Win's spine. His hands trembled as he answered the call.

Win's parents had borrowed money from the Mafia to fund their struggling company, but things hadn't gone well. The company went bankrupt, and now his parents were offering him as collateral. Finding a note from his father, apologizing and promising to bring him back, left Win confused at first. However, seeing the man dressed in black standing before him made him realize that his parents had given him away. Rumors had circulated that the Mafia boss, an old man, took people as collateral to be his mistresses, regardless of their gender. It was said he treated his mistresses in the worst possible way.

"We'll give you ten minutes to gather your belongings," one of the men said.

They forcibly dragged Win to his room. With trembling hands, he packed his clothes, but a voice inside him urged him to run away. He needed to hide until his father could come up with the money. Glancing at the open window, he made a decision. Win escaped through that window. Luckily, their house was only one story high.

After a few minutes, one of the men decided to check on Win, only to find him gone. They had underestimated the young boy, assuming he would comply with their demands without resistance.

"He's not there!" one of them exclaimed.

"What do you mean he's not there?!" the other replied.

"He's gone! He escaped through the window!" one of them confirmed.

"F**k! We have to find him, or we're all dead. You know how temperamental our boss is." Both men panicked and searched the house thoroughly.

On the other side, Win ran as fast as his legs could carry him. He managed to hail a taxi once he reached the main road.

"Please... Take me as far away as possible from this town. Hurry," Win pleaded, pulling out the last 5000 Baht (~150 Dollars) from his pocket.

"Okay," the taxi driver agreed.

The drive was exhausting for Win. He needed to put as much distance as he could between himself and the danger that awaited him back home. After an hour, the driver finally pulled over.

"I can only take you this far," the driver informed Win.

"Thank you..." Win stepped out of the car and realized he was in a different town. The driver was kind enough to take a shortcut, stretching the money to its limit.

The chilly wind cut through Win's thin t-shirt and shorts as he stood barefoot. That's when he noticed a small cafe with its back door open. Desperate for shelter, he decided to seek refuge there until morning. At least, for now.

"Sorry for intruding, but I need a place to stay," tears streamed down Win's face. He was cold and miserable. He locked the door behind him and hid under the counter. Exhaustion overcame him, and soon, he fell into a deep sleep.

Morning arrived, and one person came down from his apartment to prepare the place before opening hours.

"Guess I'll be alone today," the man muttered, stretching his body as he set up the tables and chairs. Although the cafe was small, the customers never stopped coming, drawn by the handmade coffee.

The man eventually made his way to the counter. Startled, he let out a cry when he saw a body underneath.

"Hello?" he called, gently shaking the body.

"Hello?" he shook the body a little harder.

"Urgh..." The body stirred, and the man's eyes widened.

"ARGH!" The body shot up, startled by the person in front of them.

"Oh, my gosh... You scared me. I thought you were dead," the man let out a relieved sigh.

"Sorry... I didn't realize I fell asleep," Win stammered, bowing at the man.

"Please, there's no need for that." The man sat on a chair, staring at the boy who remained on his knees. Win looked worse for wear.

"Are you lost or something? As far as I know, this town doesn't have homeless people sleeping in cafes," the man said, leaning his cheek on his fist.

"I... I am from another town. My family owes money to the Mafia, and now they're taking me as collateral. I'm scared of becoming the old man's mistress, so I ran away. I took advantage of the unlocked door of your cafe. Please... let me stay here," tears welled up in Win's eyes. The man tilted his head, searching for any evidence that could support the boy's story.

After a few minutes, he spoke up. "Fine. You can stay here, but there's one condition: you'll work with me full-time, and I'll pay you part-time wages. Deal?" The man proposed.

"Yes... Anything, as long as I can stay away from the Mafia," Win nodded vigorously.

"Here, change your clothes. You might want to wear a mask to hide from them. I also suggest dyeing your hair, but it's up to you," the man handed Win a set of clothes.

"I'll dye it. Anything to conceal my identity," Win replied, determination evident in his voice.

"Well then, you can rest for the day in my room. Tomorrow, I'll bring you to my house, and you'll stay there," the man explained.

"Thank you... uhh..." Win hesitated.

"Gulf. Gulf Kanawut. I'm the owner of this cafe,"

TBC