Part 32

The hospital was in silence as if everything had stopped. In the cold operating room, there stood a figure, frozen in place. The doctor had left, but the figure remained, trying to process the devastating news he had just received.

He could only see a figure lying down, pale and motionless. There were no sounds from the person lying there. He looked so peaceful. The short blue hair remained bright in the dim room.

Bright slowly approached Gulf. He was shocked by the news, but he knew Gulf must have been impacted the worst.

"Gulf..." Bright said softly, unable to address him by his nickname at such a solemn moment.

As if pulled back to reality, Gulf's tears started falling uncontrollably. Finally, Bright could hear Gulf's deep breaths.

"He..." Gulf struggled to find the words.

It seemed as though the world was spinning, causing Gulf to collapse, but thankfully, Bright was there to catch him.

"Gulf..." Bright supported Gulf's body.

"Win... Win," Gulf cried out, desperate for the man to respond. He could imagine Win standing in front of him, displaying his trademark broad smile as he used to do.

Gulf reached out to hold Win's hand.

"Win... What are you doing lying down here? You haven't succeeded in making coffee yet. Wake up, please... Make coffee for P, na? I haven't accepted your thanks, so you have to say it again... Win..." Gulf's voice wavered with grief, and his tears fell continuously.

Gulf cried, falling to his knees. He couldn't believe that the boy he had taken care of was gone, right in front of him. Win had died protecting him when Gulf believed it should have been the other way around.

Bright kneeled beside Gulf and pulled him into a hug. He couldn't bear to watch his lover cry. It was a hard truth to accept. Gulf sobbed hard in Bright's embrace, not knowing what to do except lean on his partner for support. Bright gently rubbed Gulf's back, comforting him.

"This can't be real! He can't be dead! It's all my fault!" Gulf yelled, pushing away from Bright's embrace.

"It's not your fault, Gulf," Bright said, still hugging him tightly, worried he might do something rash.

Gulf kept pushing Bright away until he grew tired and collapsed back into Bright's arms. After an hour, Gulf calmed down a bit. Bright slowly pulled away from Gulf and wiped his tears.

Gulf was sniffling as he stood up with Bright's help. He then went back to Win once again, holding Win's hand and kissing his forehead.

"The first time we held hands was when I protected you. Who would have thought that the last time we held hands would be when you protected me?" Gulf said, his voice filled with grief.

They stayed there for a while before leaving to allow the nurses to attend to Win's body. Gulf sat in a chair, with Bright holding his hand. They remained in silence before Gulf spoke up.

"Bright... If I ask for a favor, would you do it?" Gulf said, still lost in his thoughts.

"Anything, love," Bright said, gently rubbing Gulf's hand.

Gulf looked up, his eyes filled with determination.

"I want you to kill Witaya. In front of me," Gulf said.

Bright was surprised for a moment, but then he smiled thinly.

"I will, my love," Bright said, kissing Gulf's forehead.

It had been two weeks after Win's death, and they had decided to bury him in Gulch Town. Gulf sat on the dining chair facing the bar, where he and Win used to share moments while he made coffee. The coffee remained untouched on the dining table as Gulf sighed heavily.

"Love... Here you are," Bright said, smiling warmly. Gulf nodded, but he seemed lost, looking down.

Bright squatted in front of Gulf, holding his hands gently.

"Love... What's wrong?" he asked, looking up with concern. Gulf managed a thin smile.

"I'm fine. It's just... it feels so surreal. I never thought he would leave so early. What am I going to say to his parents?" Gulf confessed.

"Love, if his parents had been there for him from the start, he might never have run away. You were the closest thing he had to a family. He would be happy on the other side, knowing that he protected his family," Bright said, trying to comfort Gulf.

Gulf slowly finding some comfort in Bright's words. He nodded and held Bright's hand tightly.

"Thank you, love," Gulf said, smiling a bit more genuinely.

"That's more like it. You look even more beautiful when you smile," Bright teased.

Gulf chuckled at that, appreciating the effort to lift his spirits. Just then, Dew approached them.

"Boss," Dew bowed down. Bright stood up, his sweet demeanor gone.

"What?" Bright replied curtly, his tone serious.

"I have some news about Witaya," Dew said, surprising both Gulf and Bright.

Gulf stood up, intrigued at the mention of that name.

"Speak," Bright commanded, his anger starting to show.

"They say he's hiding deep in a town, and it's tightly guarded. It's their territory," Dew reported.

"What should we do then?" Gulf asked abruptly.

"I suggest we lure him out, Boss," Dew said, surprising Bright.

"Are you suggesting things without thinking?" Bright retorted, lowering his voice.

"But it's the only thing that will bring him out, Boss," Dew explained.

Gulf was momentarily confused, but then he realized what they were talking about. Witaya wanted him.

"I agree with the suggestion," Gulf said, turning towards Bright.

"I said no," Bright responded curtly, the first time he had said no to Gulf. Sensing the tension, Dew excused himself and left the place.

"Love..." Gulf said slowly, trying to reason with Bright.

"I said no," Bright repeated firmly.

"Love..." Gulf stepped closer to Bright, holding his hands in an attempt to persuade him.

"You know the risk, Gulf," Bright said slowly, using Gulf's name deliberately.

"My husband..." Gulf said, standing firmly in front of Bright and holding his hands, appealing to their bond. Bright sighed, realizing he couldn't win against that.

"It's dangerous to go to him alone, love... You know what he could do," Bright said with concern.

"I didn't say I need to go to him. We can make him come here,"

TBC