Part 9

"So, why did you come here?" Gulf said, breaking the silence.

"I needed the boy," Bright said, putting his cup of coffee on the table.

"I told you he's not here," Gulf stated.

"I know. But you know where he is," Bright said, his eyes flickering.

"Why do you think I would tell you?" Gulf raised his right eyebrow.

"Because I can kill you anytime I want," Bright smirked.

"Sure. Go ahead and do it," Gulf challenged. He knew Bright wouldn't touch him.

"At first, I was impressed, but now I'm just getting annoyed," Bright showed a scary smile.

"Suit yourself," Gulf stood up and placed his cup on his desk.

Click. A gun was pointed behind Gulf's head.

"You still don't want to tell me?" Bright said. Just one more move and Gulf could be dead.

"Do it if you dare," Gulf stayed in his place. He didn't do anything as exhaustion overwhelmed his body.

The tension was heavy between both of them. As if everything on slow motion. After a few moments, Bright speaks up.

"Where did you learn that skill?" Bright suddenly said.

"What skill?" Gulf asked, feigning ignorance.

"The defensive skill. Not a lot of people master that skill. I only know one person, but he disappeared years ago," Bright said, lowering the gun.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Gulf turned around. He was surprised to find Bright standing in front of him.

Then Bright placed both his hands on the table, trapping Gulf. He leaned closer to Gulf. He could smell Gulf's fragrance from this distance. He looked deeply into Gulf's clear eyes. He could feel himself getting sucked into those eyes.

"You might play dumb right now, but remember, it won't be long until I find out who you are," Bright's deep voice struck something in Gulf.

Gulf found himself lost in those black eyes. He gulped when he caught a whiff of Bright's scent. Bright leaned closer to Gulf. One more move, and they could kiss each other. Then, Bright smirked, causing Gulf's stomach to turn.

"I'll see you again," Bright said while smirking. He then left Gulf dumbfounded in his own office. Bright left through the window.

The moment Bright left, Gulf let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.

"I thought I was going to die today," Gulf stumbled a bit.

After calming down, Gulf decided to go to sleep. He lay on his bed, staring strangely at the ceiling. The scene replayed in his head. Gulf closed his eyes tightly.

"Gosh... Stop thinking about him. He can kill you anytime, Gulf!" Gulf said to himself, then began his sleepless night.

"Where did you go, Bright?" Dew sat next to Bright, who had just arrived at their bar.

"None of your business," Bright said.

"You never went alone before. I was surprised when the driver told me you went out by yourself," Dew poured a drink.

"Just felt like it," Bright said, taking a drink from Dew.

"Hmmm," Dew stared at Bright. He seemed to be hiding something.

"What?" Bright raised his right eyebrow.

"Nothing. Just thought you looked different tonight," Dew shrugged.

"Different how?" Bright asked.

"You look... brighter?" Dew said carefully, searching for a better word to describe him.

"What does that even mean?" Bright took a sip of his drink.

"Nothing. I might be wrong," Dew said.

Bright dismissed the topic. He had no energy to talk to anyone else anymore. The conversation with Gulf earlier had drained him more than he realized.

"So, what are you going to do about the boy? The owner asked us to leave him alone," Dew said. They were not in his office, so he dared to talk to Bright as a friend.

Bright pondered for a bit. Initially, he wanted to capture the boy as fast as he could, but now it felt like the urgency was fading. He didn't even remember what the boy looked like anymore. Ever since he saw Gulf, the definition of a pretty face had changed for him.

"Let him be, but keep an eye on him. He might flee the moment we back down," Bright said, earning a nod from Dew.

Morning came, and Gulf had a headache. He didn't have time to treat his bruises, so they had worsened, and the lack of sleep from the previous night didn't help.

"You look worse than yesterday, P," Win commented. Gulf was stumbling the whole time.

"I'm fine. I just lack sleep," Gulf assured Win with a smile.

"I'm worried about you, P," Win said. It was his problem but, Gulf was the one taking all the consequences.

"Please don't. You just make me feel miserable. I'm fine. Maybe I could close the shop early to get some rest," Gulf said, sitting down.

"Please do that," Win said.

Gulf intended to close later, but the headache was killing him, so he decided to close the shop at 9 p.m. Win gave him some medicine before leaving. It makes him sleepy. Gulf didn't bother to clean up the place; he was getting weaker with each step. Going upstairs made him dizzy, but he forced himself. Once he reached his place, he can feel his vision getting blurry. Then, the window opened, and a figure enters through it.

"You're early," the figure said. Gulf couldn't make out the figure's face as his eyesight was getting worse.

"What's wrong with you?" the figure approached him.

Gulf's breath became slower, and he could feel his vision darkening. Succumbing to the headache, Gulf collapsed. His body was about to hit the floor when someone caught him.

"Gulf?"

TBC