Left Behind

"Here you go, guys. Protein recovery bars." Chase says as he hands out the protein bars to the students in the cafeteria.

"Ugh! Again?" Bob groans.

"Yes, again. Would you like to complain more about the free food, Bob?" Chase says as Bob takes the protein bar. "Mr. Davenport made them to maximize our workouts. They have everything the body needs."

"Yeah, to make you puke. I'm gonna hold out until the 3:00 peanuts." Spin says as he walks over to Chase and Bob. Spin puts his protein bar in Chase's basket and walks away.

"Luckily for me, I'm bionic, so I don't have a gag reflex," Adam says as he takes a bite out of his protein bar.

"We're all bionic, and yes, you do," Bree says.

"No, I don't," Adam says with his mouth full. He began to choke on the protein bar and gags, making him spit it out. Bree, Chase, and I gave him disgusted looks. "Oh! Yes, I do."

"Ooh. What's that?" Spin asks Leo as he walks in with a box in his hands.

"Oh, this? It's just a little care package my mom sent down for all of us." Leo says. "Oh, wait. Nope, it's just for me." We all turn our heads when we hear a loud squirting sound and we see Bob putting ketchup on his protein bar.

"Oh, it's uh, easier for me to swallow if I pretend it's a hamburger," Bob says. "Which is tough, because I don't even know what a hamburger is."

"Wait, you've never had a hamburger?" I ask Bob as Bree and I walk over to him.

"That's so sad," Bree says.

"You wanna cheer me up by giving me a hug?" Bob says.

"That's so sad," Bree says again. I grab Bree's arm and pull my siblings to the side.

"Guys, these kids have no social skills because they've been completely isolated from the real world. They have no idea what it's like to be normal." I say.

"Ah, yes. I remember your first days out of the lab. So young, so naive. You needed a strong hand to guide you." Leo says.

"Yeah. All we got was you." Bree says.

"These kids deserve a taste of the real world," I say.

"Well, I just got some food from the real world. You guys are welcome to...no, it's just for me." Leo says just as a gust of wind shoots past him. "What was that?"

"No idea," Spin says with peanut butter smeared all over his face. Bob picks up his protein bar and rubs some of the peanut butter on Spin's face with it.

"Mm. Better." Bob says.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hey, Mr. Davenport. We've been talking, and we wanna take the students on a field trip." Chase says as he, Adam, Bree, and I walk over to Mr. Davenport in the common room.

"Great. Where you wanna take 'em? Uh, living quarters? The kitchen? That rock on the other side of the island?" Mr. Davenport says.

"Come on, you know what we mean," Bree says.

"Forget it. They're not ready to socialize with the general population yet." Mr. Davenport says.

"Well, yeah, but neither is Adam, but we still let him out of his cage," Chase says.

"Stop talking about me like I'm an animal," Adam says. "Hey, I'm hungry. Is it almost feeding time?"

"What is the big deal? It's not like these kids are a secret. The whole world knows they exist." I say.