Spider Island

"Yes, Donny, I'll take out the garbage. No, Donny, I won't experiment on the kids while they're asleep again." Douglas says into the phone as he walks into the common room, Leo and I giving him strange looks. Douglas looks at me. "It was one time, and you didn't even notice. Gotta go. Yes. I miss you, too." Douglas hangs up the phone. "Donny and the students made it to Gettysburg for their first official field trip."

"Bionic kids and cannonballs. What could possibly go wrong?" I say.

"You're a student, Leo. Why didn't you go?" Douglas asks.

"Oh, Big D thinks I'm there. When he takes attendance, I paid a kid five bucks to yell, here, and another kid ten bucks to yell, shut it, Leo." Leo says. Bree walks in. "Oh, hey, Bree. I ditched the field trip so I could hang out with you guys. What should we do on our day off?"

"Our day off? No, this is my day off, and I've already got it all planned out. I'm gonna sit by the pool and read a book. I'd ask you to join me, but I live and work with my family, so I'm sick of all of you." Bree says. Chase walks into the room.

"Hey, Chase, wanna hang out?" Leo says.

"Really? You wanna hang out with him?" I say, making Chase give me a look.

"Sorry, Leo, gotta make the most of my day off. I already organized the weapons vault, alkalized the island's water system, and taught a cute little group of dolphins to wave hello." Chase says. "Next up, some light reading. Oh." Chase grabs Bree's book and uses his bionics to speed read through it. "She ended up marrying the vampire? I did not see that coming." Bree glares at Chase and snatches the book from him.

Adam walked into the room with a large rock in his hands. "Oh, hey, Adam," Leo says, walking up to him.

"No," Adam says.

"I didn't even ask you anything yet," Leo says.

"Oh, I'm sorry, go ahead," Adam says.

"Thank you. Would you like to..."

"No. Guys, check out this rock I found on shore. I had to dig it out from under a wooden box of old yellow coins and jewelry." Adam says, showing us his rock.

"Adam, this isn't a rock. It's a fossil. Let me see that." Chase says.

"No!" Adam says. They start to fight over the rock but Chase manages to get it out of Adam's hand and puts it on the table. He scans the rock with his bionic eye. When he was done, he gasped in amazement.

"This is a prehistoric sea spider. It went extinct millions of years ago." Chase says excitedly.

"Way to go, Chase. You made my rock boring." Adam says. He leaves the room.

"Cool. I love spiders. You know, back in high school, they used to call me Spider Legs. And now, I'm realizing that's a bad thing." Leo says.

"It looks like it's from the Cretaceous period," Douglas says.

"You're right, Douglas. It's from the Valanginian subdivision." Chase says. "I would've loved to have seen this spider when it was alive."

"Do you guys ever speak English?" I say.

"You know, maybe you can. Before I got into bionics, I dabbled in biology. I was trying to use fossils to bring extinct species back to life." Douglas says, ignoring my question.

"And that explains why there's still no Mrs. Douglas Davenport," Bree says.

"This specimen is almost perfectly preserved," Chase says.

"You know, I was never able to crack it on my own, but maybe with your help, I can," Douglas says.

"I'm pretty sure you're not looking at me, but I am in," Leo says.