And Then There Were Five

In the Mentor's Quarters, Adam and Leo were playing a game of foosball while Bree was sitting on a chair texting on her phone. I was sitting on the couch next to Chase drawing in my art journal while Chase was doing something smart on his tablet. "Good news, guys. I am totally free this weekend. No meetings, no conferences. Just two fun-filled days with me." Mr. Davenport says as he walks into the Mentor's Quarters.

"So no conferences at all? You know, if we looked really hard, I bet we could find you one." Bree says.

"Are you saying you don't want to hang out with me?" Mr. Davenport says.

"Well, if she's not, I am," Adam says.

"All right. What about you, Leo?" Mr. Davenport says.

"Uh, Big D, I'd love to, but I just really don't want to," Leo says.

"Cassie?" Mr. Davenport says, looking down at me.

I stop drawing and look up from my journal. "Huh?"

"Don't worry, Mr. Davenport. I'll hang out with you," Chase says, standing up from the couch.

"You know what? I got a lot of work." Mr. Davenport says. Douglas walks into the room with a shocked look on his face.

"Hey, Douglas. What's wrong with you?" Mr. Davenport says.

"I just got a phone call from Daniel," Douglas says.

"Who's Daniel?" I ask.

"Your brother," Douglas says.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"We have another brother?" Chase says as we all stand around Douglas in the Mentor's Quarters.

"I never told anyone, but...I actually created five bionic superhumans. Adam, Bree, Chase, Cassie, and Daniel." Douglas says.

"What is with you naming your kids in alphabetical order?" Leo asks.

"It's better than their original names. Big Boy, Little Boy, Girl Number One and Girl Number Two." Douglas says.

"I can't believe you never told me. Of all the rotten things you've done, this has gotta be the worst." Mr. Davenport says.

"I had to keep it a secret so Daniel would be safe. He was just a baby the day you stole these guys from me." Douglas says.

"Rescued." Mr. Davenport says.

"Stole," Douglas says.

"Rescued."

"Stole!"

"Rescued!"

"Okay, we get it. You're both terrible people. Get to the point." Leo says.

"After Donny ratted me out, I knew I'd be living on the run, so I found Daniel a nice family that was looking to adopt. That way, he could have a safe, normal life away from all my chaos." Douglas says.

"Well, how old is he?" I ask.

"Thirteen. He found some old records that listed me as his biological father, and he found my phone number, and here we are." Douglas says.

"Well, when do we get to meet him?" Bree says.

"Whoa, whoa. I just talked to him for the first time. I don't think either one of us is ready for that." Douglas says.

"Well, what did he say?" Mr. Davenport says.

"That he's ready to meet me. Okay, look, I just don't know if I'm ready to be a dad." Douglas says.