The Curse of the Screaming Skull

"Hey, guys, where you been?" Chase says as Leo and I walk into the common room.

"We just finished watching a twenty-four-hour horror movie marathon," I say.

"I was so scared, I chewed through all my fingernails. But on the bright side, I had a big bowl of popcorn, so they were delightfully tasty." Leo says.

"Guys, how is our first Halloween at the academy going to be spooky when all we have is this pathetic little box of Halloween decorations?" Bree says.

"And, uh, what is this disgusting slime in the trick-or-treat bowl?" I say, pulling out a bowl that was filled with orange-looking slime.

"Oh, that's not slime. That's last year's pumpkin. You know, I'm surprised it didn't keep." Adam says. He sniffs the slime and gags.

"Ew!" Bree says, putting the bowl down.

"Hey, guys," Bob says, walking into the room.

"Bob, what are you doing here? All the other students are out with Mr. Davenport on a field trip to the Davenport birthplace and museum." Chase says.

"Gosh, darn it, I can't believe I'm missing that," Bob says sarcastically.

"Really, Bob?" Bree says.

"Oh, come on. Part of the tour is him reenacting his birth." Bob says.

"This kid might be smarter than we thought," Adam says.

"Ooh, smoothie," Bob says as he grabs the bowl of orange slime and walks out.

"Maybe not," Adam says, walking after him.

"Later, machine people. I'm taking the metal detector to the beach to look for other people's money." Perry says, walking into the room.

"So what, you're done going through our wallets?" Leo says.

"Yep. How do you think I paid for this thing?" Perry says. "If you need me, I'll be at the island across the way."

"What island? The deserted one?" Douglas says, walking into the room.

"Yeah. Care to join me?" Perry says. "There's room for two in my inflatable kayak. If you're good, we could play shipwrecked passenger and curious island native."

"How about we play shipwrecked passenger and rescue pilot who just keeps flying?" Douglas says.

"Hey, I've always wondered about that island. Oh, maybe there are waterfalls." Bree says.

"And caves," Leo says.

"And lagoons," I say.

"Maybe we'll be introduced to cool new species of insects," Chase says.

"And then, we can introduce them to an uncool species of human," I say, making Chase glare at me.

"Trust me. You don't wanna go to that island. From what I hear, that place is uninhabited for a reason." Douglas says. "It's a scary jungle full of venomous snakes, rabid bats, and toxic plants that cause rashes."

"Rashes don't bother me. I'm rarely without one." Perry says.

"I'm headed to the mainland for a supply run. Just promise me you won't go there." Douglas says as he steps onto the hydro loop.

"Sure. No problem." Perry says. The hydro loop doors close and shoots away. "Well, I'm off to that other island."

"Hey, Douglas just told you not to go there," Chase says.

"Yeah, well, the only voices I listen to are the three inside my head," Perry says. She leaves the room and we follow her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~