On the Edge Part 2

Two Weeks Later

"It's really weird not having you here, Leo. Everybody really misses you." I say as Adam, Bree, Chase, and I video chat with Leo in the Mentor's Quarters.

"It's been two weeks. When are you coming back?" Chase says.

"I'm sorry, guys. When I said I was done, I meant it. I've hung up my mission suit forever." Leo says.

"Then can I have it? I found a guy in Japan who's willing to pay top dollar." Adam says.

"I appreciate the call, but things are actually great back here. Uh, school is much better without Perry and I get to spend a ton of time with my mom." Leo says.

"Every sixteen-year-old boy's dream," Bree says.

"Are you sure we can't change your mind?" Chase says.

"Sorry, guys. I'm staying here. I gotta go." Leo says. "Mom's hosting her book club tonight, and I'm in charge of dessert. Turns out my laser sphere has caramelized the perfect crème brûlée."

"Ooh, that sounds good. Do I, uh, have to read a book to get in on that?" Adam says.

"Later, guys," Leo says before ending the call.

"I feel bad. We should've given him more credit." Bree says.

"I know. And he deserves to be up there with us at the award ceremony tomorrow." Chase says.

"Couldn't agree with you more. And that's why he's gonna be. Say hello to the newest member of the bionic team. Cardboard Leo." Adam says as he holds out a cardboard cutout of Leo.

"What is that?" Chase says.

"Uh, it's a life-size cardboard cutout of Leo, hence the name Cardboard Leo. Pay attention, Chase. This stuff isn't that hard." Adam says.

"I think what he means is, are you crazy?! We can't bring that to the ceremony." I say.

"Of course, we can, and if things get boring, I'm gonna fold him into an airplane and fly him around," Adam says. He starts running around the room with the cardboard and makes airplane noises, receiving weird looks from Bree, Chase, and me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"So 9:00 am tomorrow, we'll take the hydro loop to the mainland, and we will travel to the President's award ceremony in my self-driving limo." Mr. Davenport says as he, Adam, Bree, Chase, and I walk into the common room.

"I call shotgun," Adam says, holding his hand up.

"Adam, it's a limo. Everyone rides in the back." Chase says.

"You sit where you want. I will still be holding the shotgun." Adam says.

"Once the President is dazzled, I will undoubtedly be showered with a big, fat contract and piles of cash, which I just might share with you four." Mr. Davenport says.

"Really?" Bree says.

"No." Mr. Davenport laughs.

"Wait, wait, wait. So even though it's our award ceremony, now it's become all about you?" Chase says.

"You know, for the smartest man in the world, it really took you a long time to figure that out." Mr. Davenport says. He walks away just as Douglas, Logan, Taylor, Blake, and Stefan walk into the room. Taylor was wearing a pair of odd glasses over her eyes.

"Taylor," I say.

"Taylor," Chase says at the same time as we walk over to her. Chase, Bree, and I hug Taylor.