18

"Excuse me, do you know where a train that runs to Potsdam may be?" A scarred, older man asked a young woman. 

She seemed startled, taking out her airpods, but answered nonetheless, "yes, um, you wanna follow this street for about two kilometers and then take a left and you should see the station at the end of that street."

The man nodded and began walking quickly. He had no time to admire the barely risen sun and the array of colors it caused in the sky.

He walked at an unnatural speed, reaching the station in just under ten minutes. Aside from a worker and a middle aged business man, the station was empty.

He watched both carefully. Seeing the business man buy a ticket at a machine, he followed suit.

He stared at the unfamiliar buttons, trying to figure out which would get him to his destination.

"Do you need help sir?" The worker came over to him.

"Yes, I'm afraid this kind of machine was not here the last time I was!" He smiled cheerfully at the worker.

"Where are you trying to get to?" The worker returned his cheer.

"Potsdam."

"Oh dear that's quite a ways away," the worker chuckled, imputting the destination, "you'll have to switch trains at Hannover."

"No direct line?" Prussia watched the worker's movements intently, keeping up the cheery demeanor.

"Unfortunately no, €18 please," the old man begrudgingly handed over the cash.

"And there's your ticket! Safe travels," the worker smiled before disappearing as others filled the station.

The old man followed the other passengers as they boarded the train that had a glowing sign reading Hannover. He quickly found an empty seat and placed his bookbag on the seat next to him.

"Excuse me," an older woman in an outdated outfit appeared next to him, "may I sit by you?"

He looked around, seeing many of the seats on the small train already taken up. He sighed, then picked up his bag and moved to seat himself in the window seat it had just been in.

"Thank you!" She smiled brightly, seating herself.

He eyed her, suspicious. She wore a faded blue ankle length dress with elbow length gloves to match. Some pearls donned her long neck, her brown hair spiraling in curls onto her shoulders.

"I am Cateline," she smiled, extending her hand to shake his.

He shook her hand, still uncertain about her. "Dietrich."

She took her hand back rather quickly, hand going to her chest. "Why that's a name I haven't heard in quite some time!"

"Likewise," he nodded, turning to the window. He continued to watch her out of the corner of his eye, though.

She settled into her seat, pulling out a book in french. He stared at her more openly.

"I feel like I've seen you before..." he muttered.

She slowly shut her book, turning towards him. "No, I don't think you have. I've never been to Bava-I mean Germany."

"You are french." He mused.

"No, I just like to look at books in french because the words look nice," she replied sarcastically.

He barked out a laugh at her response. Once he calmed down he continued the conversation.

"Where are you trying to go?" He asked, curious.

She fanned herself with her hand, "Oh, I'm just meeting with an old friend in Poland."

He nodded, "I'm meeting with an old friend as well, in Potsdam."

"You have a much shorter trip than me," she chuckled, then lowered her voice to a whisper, "don't you, Prussia."

He immediately drew a knife from his jacket. She merely laughed.

"How many others in the world happen to have your name and are missing an eye," she giggled.

He lowered his knife, hiding it as the conductor passed by.

"Tickets," he asked. The two of them quickly showed him and then he moved on.

He lowered his voice as well, "France?"

"Which one silly," she smiled.

"You have yet to behead me so I'd assume the elder, more palatable one," a smirk began to form on his face.

"My son is such an annoyance, isn't he?" She laughed.

Prussia's smirk turned to a confused frown, "are they your son or daughter? When I lived, they were a he, but my grandchild insists they are a she now?"

Monarchist France's joyful face dropped as well as she looked away. "he's just confused," she replied, visibly miffed.

"Ah," Prussia nodded. "I have yet to talk to her? Him? Myself yet."

"I wouldn't bother," she huffed, "he's insufferable and delusional. Not to mention the disrespect!"

Prussia decided to change the conversation before it derailed further, "are you meeting Commonwealth perchance? In Poland?"

"Yes of course, he said his son wouldn't mind me coming to live with them. My son is utterly reprehensible," she rolled her eyes. "Who are you meeting with?"

"Brandenburg, but Germany hasn't a clue," Prussia said through pursed lips.

She laughed, "it appears we are in the same boat!"

Prussia smiled wryly, "indeed we are."

---

"Has anyone seen Prussia?" Third popped his head into the dining room.

"Not since last night, why?" Empire looked up from the morning paper.

"Germany is about to lose his shit," he shrugged before disappearing.

Weimar and Empire both looked at each other before chasing after Third. 

They found Germany pacing back and forth on the sidewalk in front of their house. He was speaking quickly into his phone.

"I know, I know! I- I will find him as soon as possible! Where might've he gone? I-" Germany yanked on his hair as he panicked.

"Germany, what's going on?" Empire tugged on the younger one's shoulder.

"I can't find him!" He yelled, tears of frustration beginning to run down his cheeks.

"Take a deep breath, we'll find him," Empire tried to reassure him.

"He seemed really upset about not being able to see Brandenburg," Weimar spoke up, "do you think he tried to walk there?"

A lightbulb went off over Germany's head. In his panic, he hadn't connected the dots.

"He would try to take the train, he's not dumb enough to try and walk that far," Empire said.

"But with what money?" Germany stopped his pacing.

"Maybe with the two hundred euros he stole from your wallet," Third said nonchalantly.

Germany spun around to face his father, "with the two hundred what now?!"

"You're terrible at keeping track of your wallet, I could have robbed you more than forty times by now," Third deadpanned.

"Evidently Prussia beat you to it," Weimar mused.

"Well, we now know where he's headed and how, we just have to track him down," Empire said.

Germany rushed inside to grab a bag, quickly filling it with clothing, food, and cash. If Prussia took the train, he could get there before he does by taking the car.