Chapter 5: Bodi & Moth

Now in the safety of his quarters. Bodi had already come up with a new name for his creature, 'Pad.' It just flew around landing on other surfaces as Bodi tried to chase after it and make notes in his PDA. Pad seemed to appreciate his company and did not hesitate to perch on one of the nearby photo frames to watch him as he continued to type in his handheld computer. But as the ship absorbed more energy from the solar sail and various solar panels on its nose, the lighting on the ceiling became brighter, causing Pad to gravitate toward the light. "Hold still! You're moving too fast!" The creature paused mid-takeoff, and instead of departing from its makeshift landing pad, it flapped its wings in place. Bodi took notice of the immediate response, "Hey you stopped!" Bodi said excitedly, he held out both hands and allowed the creature to land in his palms, it fluttered calmly, and its large eyes pointed upwards with the rest of its body, it was actually looking at the space around itself. As if it were curious.

Bodi looked at the creature and it looked at him. "Do a flip," Bodi commanded, and the creature responded immediately, accomplishing a brief flight before pausing to angle its wings to do a rudimentary flip in mid-air. Bodi hopped with excitement, there was a certain level of intelligence in the creature that allowed it to respond to commands evidently. Pad was clearly much more than just some bug. Bodi was eager to test. But he wasn't sure what to use, perhaps he could start simple. He set Pad on the nightstand in between where he and his brother rested. And then found a pair of random objects. "This is a ball." He held up his sphere firmly, it was actually a hand-sized model of Omeocoon; so that the brothers would keep home close always, he sat crisscrossed on a cushion to be at eye level with Pad. The second item, was a photo frame, containing one of the last pictures of his entire family. Kai never liked him touching it, but he wasn't here right now. And Bodi always made sure it went back to the same place.

"This is a photo of my parents... they... died," Bodi said, his voice lowered in clear remorse but he continued his experiment. "Fly to the photo." He instructed Pad, and the creature did the opposite, moving in the direction and taking hold of the planet model. Bodi was disappointed that Pad selected the wrong item. "No Pad... that's wrong. Do it again. The photo." Pad refused to move, it held its position firm. "What's wrong?" Bodi asked, lifting the sphere with a concerned expression. Pad wouldn't answer. Obviously. But Bodi could tell it was trying to message him in some fashion. "Are you trying to ask me where I'm from?" Bodi inquired, and Pad flapped its wings. Bodi assumed that was a yes. "Well, I'm from Omeocoon... it's a planet for a race of shapeshifters, we're... goo. That's how we do it!" Pad's wings fluttered. It was beginning to grow impatient. "I'm sorry, I don't know what you want!"

Bodi applied thought to Pad's behavior with a furrowed brow. And then his eyes widened as he struck his fist against his other palm, "You want to go home!" Bodi blurted out, "Ah. Two flaps for yes, one for no." Two flaps. Bodi jumped in excitement, communication was established. Bodi had come to the conclusion by observing the basics. Omeocoon was mostly water with islands. It was not what planet, but the planet itself. "I'm sorry I took you away from your home. Do you forgive me?" This time one flap. Ouch. "Well... let's get you home." Bodi just took the entire model and made his way down the corridor. Running.