Chapter 49: Medical

Kai was unable to move; that was the first observation he made as he opened his eyes; his head was dizzy, spinning, and a dull pain washed over his entire body; he clenched his fists and groaned in horror. He was in so much agony, especially in his chest, that was probably because that was where someone had just finished performing open heart surgery. He tried to move, and that dull pain exploded into unforgiving pulses in his legs, and the pain in his ribs returned; he drew in unnatural gasps of air. In the dim light, he could see that he was hooked up to all sorts of machines, all kinds of tubes and probes running into his body. Now that he was more aware, he could see that his leg was in a cast, suspending from the ceiling in mid-air, his right arm was bandaged up in a cast and crossed over his chest in a sling, his regular clothes were replaced with a dull blue hospital gown, he could feel nodes from an EKG monitor attached to his chest around the scar, and in the hand that wasn't bound by the constraints of medical bandage, there was an IV line stuck in his wrist and the back of his hand. Because he was part of a tribe, he'd never been to the hospital, only the small medical clinic on the island.

He hated doctors. The memories did not return to him, but he slowly reset his mind. His name was Kai, he was Omeocoon, he has a person, a brother... What's his name? It started with a B, his head was aching continuously, his mind refused to grant him the name, he had a concussion, bandages were wrapped around his forehead, but gave way for the hair on the top of his head— it was so painful. "Help! Someone help me!" He shouted without hesitation; he did not recognize this place; he could barely recognize himself, and he squirmed uncomfortably. Sure enough, a pink and yellow Omeocoon mouse burst into the room, and he quickly came to Kai's side and grabbed his hand, which was free of casts, comforting him. "It's alright. You're safe! Just don't panic anymore than you have to. It's okay." His voice was firm but comforting. He appeared harmless; the cross across his chest indicated he was medical staff. "Where am I?!" Kai forced through the pain.

"You're on a space station." The medical mouse said in his soothing voice; he moved off and opened a drawer, shuffling through something and coming back with a sizable menacing needle and a glass bottle containing clear fluid. Kai stared in horror; he bit his lower lip and tried to push as far away from the mouse as possible. "N—no!" He managed, "No needles! No needles! Help!" Kai shouted at the top of his lungs, no matter how painful. This stranger shushed him, "I'm trying to help you; calm down." His voice was still in a constant state of calm, but now he was growing more firm. Kai did not buy it. "Just relax." Why do people always say 'relax?' When they're about to do something terrible? Kai thought; he wanted to say it, but his voice would not work anymore.

"Cam! What are you doing to him?" Another new voice came from the same doorway; it was Tommy. Kai didn't know his name, but he seemed to be in charge. Kai could remember he'd gone without seeing his people for a long time— to see new faces was... beautiful. "He needs painkillers. But..." He put the cap back on his intimidating needle; the squirrel seemed horrified, "Cam, what are you doing? Give it to him!"

"But Tommy, he said no! I have to—"

"He's in no position to make that choice, Cam! Just do it!" Tommy's voice carried a sense of urgency as he approached, his bushy tail twitching with agitation. Cam hesitated, glancing between Kai and the needle, caught in conflicting instructions.

Kai, still breathing heavily.

Frustrated by the delay, Tommy quickly snatched the needle from Cam's grasp. "Move. I'll do it myself."

Cam protested, putting his arms up like a bird to block Tommy's path. "Tommy, he doesn't want it! The oath!"

"He doesn't know what he wants right now. I can't stand seeing him like this," Tommy growled, a mix of concern and determination etched across his features. He pushed Cam out of the way gently and moved closer. He cautiously approached Kai, reassuring him, "Kai, it's just a painkiller. It'll help you feel better." That needle came out again; the gleam was slight, but the silver caught a glimpse of reflection in the light. Which only made it look more menacing.