Chapter 43: Accident

Bodi and Kai made their way to the top of the hill, and it turned out that their 'savior' was no more than a shadow— a delusion, a mirage, imposed by the only tree in the entire landscape. Kai kicked the ground with his boot. "This is crazy. Bodi, what are we supposed to do? Those people down there are sick. I felt it. We're all in danger— I'm not sure what Yar wants with a bunch of Omeocoon, but it can't be good." Bodi surveyed the desolate landscape, disappointment etched across his face. The illusion of salvation vanished, leaving them with the harsh reality of their predicament. He took Kai's hand; it was a welcoming warmth.

"I don't know... but we need a plan, Kai," Bodi said, his gaze fixed on the sprawling Omeocoon settlement below. "One thing is for certain. We need to get off this ship and help those people."

Kai nodded, determination replacing frustration. "You're right, Bode. We need a vessel big enough to carry them all... So far, this is the only one in range."

Bodi rubbed his chin, "Not exactly... when I was making friends with the crew and looking at the master systems display. I found this large... room. Kind of like this one, but the doors open out into space." Bodi used his hands to describe this large room, and Kai immediately picked up on the signals. "Like a shuttle bay?"

"Yeah! Maybe there's something big enough in there that we can use to save everyone?"

"Well. Let's get down there and find out. We have to make a pit stop first. Narr's going to want to know what we're doing." Kai pointed out; his eyes drifted to the horizon. Kai squinted as he watched the holographic door generate, the same way that he and his brother entered before, but these men entered with large weapons strapped to their backs, not laser pistols, but rifles that looked unfriendly. "Bodi," tugged on his brother's arm as he observed the landscape. Bodi's attention was brought back to the present, and Kai's discovery spooked him— the horrid realization that the only way out was blocked simultaneously hit them as well. "Oh... my stars. We'll never get out now!" Kai panicked; the duo had nowhere to go; this tree was the only one for miles, maybe the only one in existence, except the tree stump, which was being used as a combination, desk, chair, and pillow for the residents— the next best thing was to hide underwater— but Kai's limited lung capacity made it an unfavorable solution.

Bodi and Kai watched as the group observed their surroundings; then, the six troops pulled from their belts some high-powered scanners, which would no doubt lead them directly to Bodi and Kai's position. "I have an idea," Bodi said; he pulled his brother down the hill, and Kai resisted; his brother was taking them directly toward the men. "Bodi? What are you doing?" Kai panicked, "You realize the guns are right over there?" Kai chuckled anxiously. Had Bodi lost it? In the past, Kai was just a little uptight... because he was older. But after being locked in a room for months, while Bodi was allowed to roam free, he was more versed in the ways of Destiny than he was. But Kai couldn't determine if he was giving up. No. He fell back into ranks with the other individual Omeocoon who were here, happily being scanned by the guards; they looked like they were used to it, holding their hands out and keeping their legs spread apart— like they were getting an X-ray scan at a spaceport. At the bottom of the hill, he smiled pleasantly and hoped they would... be... unobservant. Bodi was betting on the chances that these scanners weren't sophisticated enough to pick them up, hoping they were just for show, like how the crew pretending to be DP was a show.

"You're fine." The lead soldier informed disdainfully. The oblivious Omeocoon laughed it off like a child and continued in a different direction. The others were lined up, waiting for their turn. Kai was sweating as the guards came closer. "Bode... I'm scared." Kai whispered it was only days ago that Yar had sentenced him to 'psychiatric treatment.' Yar was a liar, a fake, a fraud, and everything in between. They'd already caused enough trouble, and Kai was not eager to find out what Yar had in store as punishment— he'd do to them what he did to these people; they were not normal. His omeosense was still making him feel dizzy. He wasn't sure how Bodi could maintain such a perfect mirage, "Just relax," Bodi snarled through gritting, smiling teeth. He tried to look pleasant. It was the third person who scanned Bodi and then Kai. She looked at her scanner. Nothing seemed to trip her alarm. She moved away, back toward the group, because Kai and Bodi arrived silently; they were the last scanned— the guards were discussing their results. It was a little mesmerizing how they compared results, exchanged opinions, disagreed here and there, nodding as someone made a good point, and then shaking heads when someone claimed to have the suspects, but finding the results didn't match the description, there were even a few laughs as they examined the residents messing around, this was cruel laughter.