Chapter 14: Probe

In the club, the music was absolutely pounding. Overhead speakers played obscure soundtracks that made the floor vibrate with powerful waves. The guests were on the dance floor. They were performing radical movements with their bodies. The interior floor had a slick reflection surface to match the obsidian exterior. Kai didn't have much time to observe the inside, as he was tapped on the shoulder by a familiar robotic face, it was the Chiptonian from the lift. "Follow me." He said bluntly and walked away, Kai didn't want to get lost on the floor. So he sped up and walked after the robotic-looking feline. Twists and turns in between dance floor occupiers led them to a back door, the Chiptonian held the door open for Kai, and when they were both inside, he shut it behind them. This hallway was completely different from the club, it was almost as if they were in a separate building. Obsidian black was replaced with warm woods, bright lights, and pleasant neutral colors, was so quiet and good smelling in here, Kai had nearly forgotten he was in a bar.

The Chiptonian led him to another room, filled with private booths, where V.I.Ps seemed to occupy the space. This 'Ghost' was going all out for him. Kai and the Chiptonian made a sharp turn and finally entered the booth where a pleasant-looking woman was waiting. She had a cybernetic arm, glowing orange eyes, and a wild fiery redhead of curly hair that complemented her fair-skinned body, sporting a leather jacket, and a pair of jeans that were indeed not designer. She was sipping a drink and didn't even bat an eye as Kai entered with her personal viceroy. "Leave us K1." She gestured a hand away, referring to the Chiptonian, he responded with a slight bow and exited the doorway. "Sit down. And close the door." She ordered Kai relatively coldly, which contradicted her pleasant-looking appearance, and he complied, shutting the mechanical sliding door, and having a seat in the semi-circle booth on the opposite side of the woman. "We've worked together a long time, but we've never talked in person," she started, she paused to take another sip. And then continued, "You don't do bounty jobs. And most certainly not jobs that come with a high margin for error. What changed?" She asked.

"I didn't. My brother did." Ghost locked eyes with Kai for the first time. She raised an eyebrow, Ghost's eyes bore into Kai's, "You know, Kai, this won't be a walk in the park. It's not just about letting your brother make decisions in the family business. The path you're about to tread is filled with danger and uncertainty. I won't hold it against you if you choose to walk away to protect him. You're a good brother— you take care of Bodi." Kai was a little creeped out, he couldn't remember mentioning his brother's name.

Kai's gaze remained steady, his resolve unwavering. "I appreciate your concern, Ghost. But I've made up my mind... and you won't change it. In all honesty, he's right. I'm an explorer, I need fuel to keep my ship going... after I finished this job, I hoped that it would be a very long time before we spoke again." Kai said honestly. Ghost leaned back, her orange eyes still fixed, assessing his determination. "Even if it means you could kill someone?" she asked bluntly. Kai just stared, his frown and furrowed eyebrows made it look as though he was having inner turmoil. Ghost took a minute to read Kai, and then nodded with resolve, "I'll give you a different job." She said finally, Kai blinked in surprise. "Wait! You don't think I can do it?" He asked, semi-defeated. "No. I didn't say that. I don't want you to do it. You have someone who looks up to you."

"So why all of this? All the time wasted?" Kai asked with a head tilt. Ghost chortled a little. "You enjoyed yourself? Yes? Sometimes we need a break from the ones we love." Ghost nodded, she was talking as if she'd known Kai for decades. But she didn't. What on Omeocoon was she trying to get out of this? Kai thought, "I needed you here for a special assignment. It's almost as important as any bounty-hunting job, maybe even more, but it has a higher turnover for both of us. I need a runner, your ship is just the right configuration, and I thought that some alone time in a cushy padded hotel room could persuade you to say yes. The job's just as dangerous as bounty hunting. Twice the pay." Ghost added.

"Are you familiar with Broca Tech?" She asked. And Kai shrugged. Ghost sighed as she was getting ready to pitch the idea to yet another one of her operatives. She pinched the bridge of her nose briefly, her fatigue was evident. "It's a probe company. They build probes. Their most recent technological marvel, code-named the XJ-Type, has gone missing in the middle of a plasma storm, the communications array went haywire and they lost control. Broca thinks it drifted into some expanse, filled with dangerous gaseous anomalies, limited spaceports, whatever you wouldn't want to take your ship into, that expanse is gonna have it. Broca's lost contact. And they need a long-range ship to find it." Ghost reached into one of the pockets on her leather jacket and pulled out a cigarette of all items, her electric lighter had the form of a retro zippo lighter as she placed the tube in her mouth and ignited the tip, she blew a few puffs and then removed the cigarette and then just let it breathe for a while on its own.

"Your ship runs on solar, you and your brother are the only ones on the payroll that don't eat... and you're used to traveling around in space for months at a time. Get that probe. And I'll give you 160,000 UC. You get half now, half when you come back with the damn thing. Is that enough to keep your little exploration game going? You like to climb mountains right? 160,000 Universal credits you could buy a mountain. Provided you look at the right vendors." She didn't let Kai get a word in, she just wanted to explain fully before he said yes or no. She stared at Kai, her eyes once again twinkling in the light magically as she waited, she crossed a leg over the other and bobbed her head impatiently. "Interested?"