Chapter 48: Deep And Dreamless Slumber

Narr continued to instruct Bodi to attempt CPR because she didn't have enough physical strength to try it herself. Bodi was doing this through a wave of tears because his brother was dying... dead. Narr was working to inject him with different things; she never stopped working to save his life... but even she was beginning to lose hope. If they didn't get him to a real hospital soon, there would be no chance of resuscitation. She did all she could in the way of injections, and now it was up to Bodi, "Don't stop. I'm going to try the ship again. I have an idea." Narr commanded she bounced through the wave of smoke; luckily, the ships were keeping each other busy, and the Trinity engaged the Destiny about five seconds after the fourth torpedo hit the yacht. Narr pulled the panels off the wall and tried to jerry-rig a solution. She wasn't an engineer but received basic emergency training as a DP civilian volunteer. The wires were a mess, and that was only because Narr was messing with it. A powerful spark exploded through some consoles as Narr twisted wires with her beak. The emergency power was back in action, and a small fire started on the engineering panel, but Narr wouldn't give it the time of day.

Narr, now in command of the yacht's cockpit. Bounced over to the helm, "Now... let me see." She mumbled to herself; she followed the diagrams until she found the panel labeled, 'Fuel Tank Control.' There lay a 6-step activation sequence, three buttons, and three switches. Narr started with the buttons first.

"Fuel ejection system..." The computer started as they followed the diagrams about the proper sequence. Narr hesitated, looking back at Bodi; she couldn't see his face in the foggy smoke, but he continued to press on Kai's chest and deliver him oxygen. She just hoped he was ready. She threw the final switches. "Activated." The computer finished, and instantly, she felt the jolt of clamps releasing. The fuel was ejected into space, and she moved back toward Bodi, "Wait? What did you do?" The bunny asked.

"Hold on!" Narr shouted, but there was nothing to hold on to. He did secure Kai in any way he could, and he was unprepared for how... cold he felt, even in the immense heat surrounding the cockpit. Sure enough, a stray beam of weapons fire from the firefight ignited the fuel, causing a moraceous explosion; Narr made it her mission to help the Trinity in any way possible, but what she didn't account for was the destruction that her choice would bring, she turned off all vessels in the immediate vicinity with her stunt, the Trinity stopped dead in the water her lights flickering as she switched to emergency power, the Destiny was also dead, but they were in worse shape, a massive hole blown through one of her 'wings' which was one of the signature creatures that made her look so different from the other DP starships she was trying to impersonate. Hopefully, the Omeocoon prisoners were okay. The fighting was finally over.

As the flames engulfed the fuel cloud, creating a spectacular explosion that momentarily illuminated the dark void of space, the Destiny and the Trinity were left motionless, their systems disabled. The once chaotic battlefield now resembled a celestial graveyard, with ships drifting aimlessly and debris scattering in the aftermath of the fiery detonation. Bodi, exhausted from his attempts at CPR, nodded. "We can't lose him, Narr... he's all I have left." The emergency power flickered, casting sporadic shadows across the cockpit as Narr worked to scan for any signs of life within Kai. "We must find a safe location to transfer Kai to another ship. I don't trust the Destiny or the Trinity right now. They might recover from the temporary shutdown, and we don't want to be caught in the middle again."

"What do you have in mind? The only thing I see out there is some space station, and they haven't been too keen on getting involved.

As Narr paused for thought, the comms system crackled to life. It was a transmission from the Trinity. "Unidentified vessel, this is Commander Davidson, executive officer of the Dynamic Patrol Exploration Starship, Trinity. You played a risky move back there, but it seems you've neutralized the threat. We've got shuttles dispatching now, but it will take some time; we will secure the situation; just hold on for now."

Narr took a deep breath before responding, "Commander, this is civilian attaché Narr in control of the yacht holding Omeocoon passengers; we have one in critical condition. We intervened to protect ourselves and disabled the hostile ship." The Commander's voice came through with a hint of skepticism, "Civilian or not, you've just altered the course of a significant conflict. We'll send a medical team your way, but be prepared to answer some questions once this is over."

"Fine! We just need help!" Bodi strained. He didn't care who he was talking to: Captain, Admiral, Commander. He just wanted someone to help his brother, for god's sake.

"We've got you. Standby." The Commander added, his voice cut out. Right after, Narr and Bodi felt the jolt of something clamping onto the hull of their ship. Bodi looked at Narr, but the smoke was dense and continued to fill the flight deck. She couldn't even see him. "They're docking already? How is that possible?" Narr asked Bodi. He shrugged, but she couldn't see it; they could see sparks flying from the top hatch; the sound of a blow torch slicing its way through the hull of their craft was unmistakable. "Is that them?" Bodi asked.

Narr couldn't respond; for all she knew, it was Yar coming to finish the job; the uncertainty gnawed at the duo as they eyed the top hatch; whoever was cutting could unseal the hatch connecting the yacht. Whatever craft was waiting on the other side, the dark smoky cockpit was flooded with powerful blinding light, and soon enough, the introduction of a clean ventilation system sucked the smokiness out of the yacht. This was Bodi's first time seeing another Omeocoon in years. Three Omeocoon. A fierce-looking bunny defends the top hatch, and his face is tinged with concern, and his outerwear is rather intriguing. The second one to make an appearance and the first one down the hatch seemed to be the leader, a mouse. No, he was a medic; Narr could recognize that because he had the universal sign for emergency medical on his chest as a cross. The true leader was a squirrel; orange and black, he was determined; he was down the ladder second. A true trailblazer, they had bright flashlights that broke the smoke that was left.

As the squirrel leader descended the ladder, his eyes widened as he assessed the situation. Bodi, still by his brother's side, looked up with a mixture of desperation and hope. "We've got a critical patient here," Narr called out, her voice husky from the smoke. "He needs immediate medical attention. We did what we could, but time is running out." She spoke with the mousy medic, who seemed confused; this was clearly his first emergency. He seemed horrified by the state of the environment they were in.

The medic wasted no time. He quickly surveyed the injuries, checking Kai's vital signs and taking charge of the resuscitation efforts. "I'll need your assistance," he said to Bodi, calm and focused. But as he slipped his medical bag off his shoulders, Bodi could tell he was anxious about this; shaking hands worked to assist. "Keep doing CPR while I administer the necessary treatments. We need to stabilize him for transport." Bodi nodded at those orders, his tears blending with the smut on his face, burning his eyes. He continued chest compressions as the medic worked efficiently, injecting medications and connecting Kai to a portable life support system.

Meanwhile, the bunny guard watched at the yacht's entrance, his head poking down the ladder shaft, ensuring the medical team's safety. The leader, the determined squirrel, communicated with him through a secure channel, AKA: he screamed up the hatch so that his partner could hear. "The yacht managed to disable all the ships with that... explosion, but this thing isn't going to fly; we need evacuation." They couldn't see it, but the bunny nodded. He'd figure out a way.

"Maybe I can shapeshift into a hammock or something, carry him out that way?" The squirrel suggested; the mouse shook his head, "No, you shouldn't try to shift in here; it's way too hot you wouldn't be able to focus. I'm surprised any of us can hold a solid shape right now." The medic replied, avoiding eye contact, focusing on his work, "We have to get out of here, Tommy."

Bodi caught that the leader's name was 'Tommy.' He couldn't quite recall where he'd seen that face before as he made his way down the hatch, but now he knew from somewhere, and he could tell in the dim light of the cabin. The first of their people to do it. He would be sworn by now that he was a hero. A Dynamic Patrol hero was saving them. But who were his friends... they couldn't have been DP, could they? But then again... the time dilation was still confusing for Bodi, so maybe a lot has happened beyond the destruction of his planet and this entire thing with Narcit. Tommy was an icon. Of course, he'd be here in situations involving Omeocoon. Bodi stood up and dragged his feet over to Tommy; his body slumped over from fatigue. "Auto..." He started, exhaled a tired, crazed laugh, and Tommy was concerned, "Autograph..." Bodi managed to strain; it was his last active memory before he collapsed into Tommy's arms, his face burning into his chest. Tommy caught Bodi without issue; he was surprisingly light.