Chapter 27: Forced Sabbatical

"I feel better Bode, so much better and it's all thanks to you!" Kai said, he smiled, he was indeed looking better, but his fur was still a mess, and he still had persistent eye bags, a semi-melted ice pack pressed against his aching ribs, and now he felt something else coming on... having an immune system seemingly invited viruses to enter his body, with the sub-ten-degree weather barking at them from the outside, and the firewood dwindling, he certainly felt a cold coming on, and that meant the Omeocoon equivalent of white blood cells would be raging war within his body, and lucky Kai would suffer the consequences of his body trying to fight the virus. Despite all of this, his tail was fluttering in excitement(likely forced,) and his tone was light and energetic, but Bodi could still tell that he was still in pain even if he thought that he was good at hiding it, he still couldn't move all that much.

 Bodi allowed his brother to use the thermal blanket while he took the ripped jacket. To that, Kai was overly thankful, more so than usual, he was doing this because he was on thin ice, and was quite frankly afraid that Bodi was going to 'torture' him again. "Hey, so... I know my healing factor is going to kick in eventually and I'll be good as new. Well, at least I'll be better. Still sore but I'll be able to walk. I think when that happens, we'll abandon the cave and head back to the ship. And I was thinking since you've been doing a good job of it so far... I'll let you be the leader."

Bodi didn't respond, he just went at the fire with his stick again. "Bode. I'm talking to you." Kai said, impatience was elegantly concealed by a look of concern from Kai. Bodi huffed and puffed loudly, and looked Kai square in the eyes, "Would you be quiet?" Bodi flashed Kai with a smile, before turning back to his fire, he did not wish to be patronized, that much was clear. Kai was once again dumbfounded, he blinked in disbelief, "You aren't going to make me walk all the way up the mountain in the cold with an injury. Are you?"

"I'm not going anywhere, and neither are you." Bodi reinforced, naturally Kai was the older one, so he was wiser and used to being in charge. The whole space adventure was his idea anyway, he had acquired the ship, and had Ghost for a contact— so he was in charge.

"Look. You've had your fun, but now it's time to stop these silly games and concentrate on getting off this moon."

"We'll leave when I'm ready."

"But the mission!"

"The mission can wait. The probe isn't going anywhere. And like I said before, neither are you, so I suggest you let go of that idea."

"So first you torture me and now you're gonna keep me here against my will?" Kai was starting to develop an attitude, but Bodi wouldn't budge.

"I think I will. Because you know what Kai? You broke two rips. Would you please just relax for a moment? You haven't taken an actual break in months."

"But I was in a hotel room seeing Ghost so we can earn some money to keep exploring!"

"That doesn't count. You were there on business."

"No, I don't want to relax, I wanna get off this stupid moon and find the probe so we can get paid! Don't you want to study more plant and animal life? I'll even let you have another pet." Bodi ignored Kai's bargaining, instead, he stood up and quickly made his way over to Kail. Without a second thought, he snatched the ice pack away from his brother and then forced him to lie on his back again, Kai grunted in disbelief, he was still sore and had limited locomotion, and a part of that was the fear of the pain that would come as a consequence of moving. Bodi wrapped Kai's torso up in the thermal blanket but left his legs exposed, like a rudimentary straight jacket. On any ordinary day, Kai could've easily slipped out of these bounds even without his shapeshifting abilities. However, there was little reward. How would he even get up the mountain without Bodi's help? He loved climbing mountains— and he couldn't wait to take on this one... but now, he couldn't even imagine walking to the other side of the cave without hurting himself.

"Stop it, doofus!" Kai squirmed and struggled but Bodi persisted. "Just close your eyes for a minute," Bodi replied, and he moved back to his spot. Kai sighed in resignation. He knew it was futile to argue with Bodi when he was in one of his stubborn moods. Closing his eyes, he tried to relax and concentrate on the warmth from the thermal blanket. The pain in his ribs was still there, but the ice pack helped to numb it slightly, fortunately he was starting to feel his healing factor actively mend his bones. Bodi watched over him, his concern hidden behind a stoic expression. He didn't enjoy seeing his brother in pain, even though he had been the cause of it earlier, Bodi thought he would've enjoyed it, but he was more disgusted with himself than anything.