Chapter 13: M

Kai was awakened by the smell of boot polish, and a soft squishing sound as S9 applied a thick glob of the goop to his boots in the other room, Kai rubbed his eyes as he sat up from the couch... not what he was expecting but he liked it. He was still getting used to the heated floors. S9 probably continued and then finished after Kai fell asleep. Which was not like him. "What time is it? Did I miss the meeting?" Kai said he moved into the small mudroom where he entered the first time. Where S9 finished the final coat of boot shine. Kai's tail animated with excitement. "Wowie! They look like new!" He said sitting on the outman, he slipped them on without issue, and he put his belt back on. "I wished for you to look your best when you visit your contact, Sir. It's my pleasure. Shall we leave?" S9 proposed, and Kai nodded, "Oh wait!" He reached into his belt pocket and pulled out his communications device... eleven missed hails from Bode. Kai swiped around the display a second before S9 spoke up. "Sir, if we do not depart now. You will be late, and given the extraordinary amount of effort your contact has put into selecting this room just to meet the same day, it would be very unpunctual of us to arrive late."

Kai frowned and thought for a moment, S9 waited for his response, and Kai lowered his eyes as he replaced his communicator. "Let's go," Kai said with a nod, his frown persistent as he and S9 started for the hallway, and then moved down to the lobby. Where they eventually made it to the streets. It was much quieter now that it was later. Kai followed the lead of S9 and he led him to a sophisticated-looking nightclub called 'The Midnight Mirage.' Kai could feel the music pounding through the walls. The exterior looked like a crystal ball, a completely obsidian semi-sphere with no windows or visible doors. The only hint that gave away its status as a bar and nightclub was the simple holographic 'M' hovering above what was presumably the entrance.

The bouncer was a massive robot, who had one menacing red eye, a massive body that stood at nine feet tall, and a somewhat asymmetric blocky form, that made it look like he had muscles... in a robotic way. He hummed mechanically as each guest was analyzed and cleared to walk through the doors, which only made themselves known for one person, even if partygoers were entering as a pair. Highly secure, and highly exclusive. Kai felt underdressed, many of the corporate suits that he saw earlier seemed to go through a metamorphosis as Kai slept in his room. Transitioning for businessmen and women, to outgoing party members. Crop tops, jeans... every type of outfit that a partygoer would present was here, however, just because they weren't in their suits does not mean that they wouldn't dress in just anything. Those outfits were just elegant enough to reek of designer. "I've never been to a club before," Kai whispered to his robotic companion, and S9 continued to follow alongside him as his spot in the line rapidly approached. "There is nothing to be worried about. No one here knows this is your first time." S9 reassured, and as they reached the terrifyingly large robotic security guard, S9 continued to talk to Kai, "Just act natural. There is no set of instructions for attending a party."

The bouncer's red eye turned its attention toward Kai and S9 as they approached. Its mechanical hum seemed to intensify for a moment. S9 confidently treaded forward, displaying a holographic identification that was promptly scanned by the robotic guard. After a few seconds, a green light emitted from the guard's eye, and it gestured for Kai to proceed. Kai, alone. S9 would not be following as robots were not permitted beyond that point.

Kai gave a nervous smile, trying to appear more at ease than he felt. "You aren't coming?" Kai asked, as he stepped over the line and S9 did not. "I cannot, Sir. I will be waiting for you when you return." That made sense, robots couldn't buy drinks, or even dance. They have no place in a bar. "Okay... wish me luck then." S9 waved and Kai stepped through the door which was once hidden by the smooth obsidian surface of the orb. And Kai continued inside. And the door shut leaving him alone.