Chapter 2 | Unease

Tazuna looked into the kitchen to see Sakura asleep at the table.

"That must have used up a lot of chakra, healing those three," his grandson whispered, coming up next to him. Since Naruto and the others had left years ago, he had been collecting school books about jutsu and chakra. Even some genjutsu and taijutsu books, including a few about seals. He had become interested in that sort of thing and even trained in the woods. Though he had not managed anything other than taijutsu on his own. With a teacher, Tazuna was sure he could excel quickly. He was a smart kid. "Think we should put her in a bed?"

"No, leave'er be; she needs her rest. Anyway, we should go check on the three in the other room," the old man whispered. He turned around and left, Inari following close behind.

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Tazuna watched his daughter while she sat next to Sakura, who was on a bedroll in Inari's room. She had been out for two days.

"This can't be good..." he muttered.

"You know saying that over and over won't help, right?" she chuckled grimly. He gave a deep sigh.

"Yeah, I know. I just wish we knew what was happening. Inari said it's most likely something to do with chakra and is searching her things for a journal or book," he grumbled, closing his eyes.

"Father! You shouldn't-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know it's rude, but we need to help her. He says 'This is longer than the usual amount of time needed to rebuild chakra levels.'"

"Wait! You can't get up yet! You're hurt!" Inari's voice called from the other room, causing the two to look into the hall.

"I'll go see what's going on, you stay with her."

"Right."

As Tazuna exited the room, he could hear more sounds coming from the resting room. He walked in to see Inari carefully trying to push Kakashi back onto the bed as carefully as he could. He was shirtless and his mask was off, with bare feet and a pair of the old man's pants that had been laid out for him. Tazuna found it interesting that he was able to change by himself before taking note that the younger man's face was pretty good-looking for the age that he was. He wondered if that was why he had worn the mask in the first place. Kakashi placed his hand over the bottom part of his face.

"Where's my mask?" His voice was constricted, the others assumed from the pain of his wound. Tazuna had been the one helping Sakura operate, so he knew about the opening in his stomach.

"You won't be gettin' that back anytime soon. Damn thing was torn to shreds," the bridge builder said, standing in the doorway. Kakashi looked up at him and sighed as he pulled his hand down from his face, somewhat shocking Tazuna as he noticed there was no tan line.

"Hello Tazuna," he looked at the boy in front of him, "Inari. How did I get here?"

"Sakura brought you here; from where I don't know." His eyes grew wide at the mention of her name, but he quickly covered his left eye and winced from the sudden movement. "I also don't know why you have those injuries."

He pointed at him. "Your friends Sai and Konohamaru are in the two beds next to you. They're both fine, no complications."

"Have you seen my forehead protector?" he asked quietly, looking around. Tazuna thought back to a couple of days before.

"Actually, I haven't. You didn't have it when you got here. Neither did your friends." He paused. "Now that I think about it Sakura didn't have hers either."

Kakashi let out a sigh.

"I'll look for it later, I guess."

"Here, you can use this for your eye," Inari piped up. He held out a long piece of fabric from what had been part of the man's undershirt. He thanked him before tying it around his head.

"So, where is Sakura?" he asked.

"Well, here's the problem..." Tazuna started.

"There's a problem?" he asked slowly.

"When she finished your operation, she went into the kitchen and fell asleep at the table..."

"Alright..."

"She hasn't woken up..." Inari said softly. Kakashi's eye grew wide before he slowly stood, despite Inari's protests, and slowly walked over to the door. Tazuna hummed as he thought he recognized something in the other man's eye.

"Take me to her," he said calmly. Tazuna nodded and slowly led him to the other room, pausing once or twice for him to catch up. When they arrived, Kakashi made his way over to her and placed the back of his hand on her forehead. He then checked her pulse on her wrist, checked her breathing by putting his hand over her mouth, and opened one of her eyes. Silently, he felt around on the back of her neck and shoulders.

He looked at Tsunami, who was gawking at him, before looking at the old man. "Bring me one of her scalpels."

He received a questioning look but the old man left to get a scalpel. He came back and held it out, but Kakashi only looked at him before pointing to a spot on her neck after sitting her up. "There is a chakra beetle burrowed into her neck. I need you to get it out."

The bridge builder's eyes widened slightly before he looked closer. Sure enough, there was a small bump to the left of her spine. With Tsunami helping hold her in a sitting position, Tazuna did as told and made a small cut. After a few seconds, a small black beetle crawled out from under her skin, Kakashi quickly grabbing it before it could escape. He examined it for a few moments before concern met his features.

"This is an Aburame beetle... one they use for tracking..." He was quiet for a while before he looked up at the old man. "I don't know why, but they are considering her an enemy. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been in her neck. Tazuna, I need you to go and put this on a fish. Then take the fish as far south as you can and release it."

The authority in his voice was undeniable, but Tazuna was still confused. Inari left the room.

"Why do I need to take it south?"

"For one, it needs to be in something that's alive or they'll realize it's been removed. I want you to take it south because we just need it away from here." Inari came back in with a small jar and held it open, Kakashi putting the beetle inside before Inari sealed it and held it out to his grandfather.