Chapter 62 | Hachidori

Sakura took a deep breath as she, Kakashi, and Kurama made their way up the stone stairs that wound up the large mountain at the northwest side of the island. It was the first time they would be going into the caves after they had stumbled upon it.

Hachidori had finally summoned the young woman after many long months of waiting.

They came to the cave to find two hummingbirds on either side of the entrance. Sakura bowed to them and the clouded tunnel that had been blocked by fog cleared up.

"You may enter," one of them spoke before the three entered the cave. After a few moments, they exited the tunnel to come out into a large grotto. In truth the top of the large mountain was hollow, sporting massive trees and colorful flowering plants. Hummingbirds of all sizes buzzed around the large cavern in every direction, some coming in or heading out of large and small holes in the stone walls that led to the outside.

In the center of the gigantic cavern was a large pillar of round stones held together by flowering vines and the roots of trees. On top was a large nest made from flowers and twigs, in which sat a massive bird whose colors resembled a peacock more than a hummingbird. She was roughly the size of a large house and many other smaller birds were perched on the nest around her.

The three stopped where they were as they watched her spread her wings and fly upward before buzzing down and landing in front of them. After landing, she puffed up her feathers, appearing like a ball before they flattened down again, a calming breeze wafting through the air.

"Welcome, Namikage," the large bird spoke, looking at Sakura with large blue eyes. Sakura bowed slightly in greeting.

"It's an honor to finally meet you, Lady Hachidori."

"You brought me many of my tears that were missing, so I've decided to accept you fully." Sakura blinked in surprise, as the bird had gotten straight to the point. "I will make a contract with you if you so wish."

"I would be honored."

"And I'll allow villagers with Wind Release to learn our techniques. It would be a waste to not build the village back to what it once was."

"Thank you very much!" Sakura smiled, as she took the contract scroll from a smaller bird. After placing her bloody thumbprint on the scroll, she handed it back. "I have a question..."

"Yes, you may ask."

"Your tears, are they still a secret?" The bird stared at her for a moment. "I plan to keep it as one, I wanted your opinion."

"It's true you could be invaded if others learned that the tears could split the rains... You do as you see fit. Your judgment has already proven itself. You may do things at your own discretion."

Sakura gave a bow of her head again.

"Thank you."

"If you have nothing else, then you may leave. Feel free to come back if something important comes up or summon one of my children."

After saying their goodbyes, the group left and exited out into the cool salty air that swept up from the sea.

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Sakura entered her office with Kakashi to find Kirai placing down a large stack of folders on the Kage's desk. She turned to see them before bowing.

"Welcome back, Kirai. I hope you're alright?" Sakura smiled.

"Actually, my Lady..." A smile came to the young woman's face. "My name is Aiko now."

Sakura paused before her smile turned soft.

"I see. It suits you."

"Thank you, my Lady. I'd like to apologize for my sudden absence. It won't happen again."

"Well, be sure to take off if you're sick or have something going on. But I'm glad to hear you're able to come back to work." Sakura let out a sigh. "It's been a mess here without you."

"I'm very sorry!" Aiko got out.

"No! No! Don't worry about it. I only meant you're important here," she grinned. Aiko straightened up and stared at her for a moment before smiling wider.

"Shall we get to work?" She was happy to be needed. "The first on the list of things that need to be done is the gathering of funds for the Shuji clan compound."

She looked at a list she had in her hands.

"Huang Po said he would take care of that through donations and a debt for each Shuji member to pay back to the village over time. Along with some other methods at the same time."

Aiko nodded and scratched it off of her list.

"How would you like to go about announcing your identity?" Sakura hummed, glancing at Kakashi who nodded. They had discussed the very same thing on their way there.

"I won't be. It's not something that's necessary, so there shouldn't be any reason to do it." Aiko looked at her for a moment before crossing it off of the list as well.

"The next thing to discuss is your first vacation."

Sakura looked at her in confusion for a moment before looking to Kakashi.

"Lady Iro and Shikamaru agree with me," he shrugged. The woman gave a sigh, rubbing the back of her neck as she leaned back in her chair.

"Alright, fine. But only a day or two-"

"Three." She gave the man a blank stare before rolling her eyes.

"Fine. I'll take three instead of a week like you probably want."

"Deal." She narrowed her eyes and wondered if he had something he wanted to do but pushed it aside.

"But we'll be doing four days' worth of work today," she grinned, watching his mood fall.