Chapter 10 | Missive

Konoha shinobi gathered around the eastern gate, as the Nine-Tails had been sighted. It was an understatement to say that most of the people there were fearful of what could happen. There were no set strategies to defend the village from a tailed-beast, even if there had been an attack nineteen years prior. Many of the onlooking shinobi took note that the fox was smaller than it had been the time before.

Shikamaru watched the fox from the top of the gate with Ino and Shino next to him.

"Where is Sakura?" Shino whispered. "She should have reached Kurama long before Naruto did."

"You're right, I can't imagine Kurama waiting a month for Naruto to return," Neji pointed out as he and Tenten joined the three of them.

"Let's just see what he's here for... This past month has been such a bother..." Shikamaru grumbled as he lit a cigarette.

"Wow, you're smoking now of all times?" Ino asked with false humor. Tenten gave her blonde friend a worried glance, knowing just how worried she was for both Sai and Sakura. The group looked down as Kiba ran through the gate below them.

"Finally, he's back!" the brunet yelled as he came to a stop. "Hurry up and get back inside Naruto!"

The group was taken aback by his demand, and Ino snapped at him.

"What the hell, Kiba!?"

The shinobi on the ground looked up.

"It's just better for everyone to know he can't damage anything!"

"K-Kiba, I'm not sure it's the best idea to..." Hinata muttered.

"I'm ignoring him," Tenten sighed as she dropped down to the ground before making her way toward the large fox. Kurama gave a growl but became silent when the woman bowed. "Kurama, have you seen Sakura?"

The fox only stared at her for a few moments until he lunged at her. She let out a startled scream as she was picked up by one of his tails before being thrown at a tree. Her back connected with the bark and she fell to the ground, letting out another yell just before her face hit the dirt.

"Tenten!" Neji yelled, running to her side.

"I-I'm fine," she groaned, pushing up off the dirt and brushing herself off. "I think I just startled him. Don't attack!"

She didn't feel any hostility from him. Granted, he just threw her into a tree, but she was sure he could have sent her flying through a dozen or so if he really wanted to.

"What business do you have here!?" Tsunade asked, touching down not too far from him. Kurama held out his fist above the ground before dropping something. Everyone was shocked to see Naruto. "What did you do!?"

His tails began to move, showing he was uncomfortable being where he was.

"He was being annoying," he rumbled. "Now for the second matter."

He threw forward a smaller object.

"Neji, what did he just throw?" Tenten asked, as she was unable to see.

"It's Sakura's forehead protector..." he muttered, already having activated his byakugan to get a glance himself. Tenten looked to her best friend in surprise.

"What? You mean..."

"She's gone rogue. There's a slash through it."

Her face turned from surprise to serious as she looked back over to the confrontation.

"Good," she spat. "What's going on now?"

"Tsunade is just questioning him, he's not responding." Both of them felt an injection of adrenalin as Tsunade shot forward, but the moment she hit him he dispersed into a cloud of smoke. The Hokage let out a yell of frustration and broke a tree in half before moving to Naruto. Neji gave a small laugh, causing his friend to raise a brow. "Naruto is just sleeping, apparently."