Chapter 13 | Raid

The three breached the surface of the water to find the house engulfed in flames. The woman yelled out her son's name in panic.

"Inari!"

Movement came from the front yard of the house and the boy stood, resting his hands on his knees.

"Mom! I'm fine!" he yelled between ragged breaths. Shino climbed on top of the water and pulled the woman up, taking her to shore before going back for the old man. The woman brought her son into a tight hug.

"This is a terrible jutsu. It's self-compromising," Shino stated as he turned to the three of them. "I want you to hide in the woods. If these guys are this powerful, then one can only assume the rest are on par."

The old man stood up, looking like he would die before he let a situation like the one before happen again.

"You took out the leader. He said so himself, the other guys followed him."

Shino thought for a few moments.

"Very well," he looked to the boy, "Inari. Was that your name? You come with me."

The young man ran off, Inari following close behind before either his mother or grandfather had time to protest. "You can be quick."

He nodded.

"I've been training myself in taijutsu for years, I only recently started with chakra."

"I see. You did well back there, but touch up your aim. You need to aim for the center of the chest."

"Right!"

They reached the village to find the townspeople fighting with the attackers. One man close to them saw Inari and yelled for him to run away.

"Not a chance!" he yelled as he killed an attacker who was about to ambush said man from behind. "This is good practice for me!"

He ran off to surprise and attack more invaders.

"Well, he has potential," the Aburame observed again. The man noticed him and gave him a wary look.

"I've never seen you before. Who are you?" His face turned from worry to question quite fast upon seeing the head plate. "Ah, excuse me, I didn't know you were a shinobi of Arashigakure."

"Can you tell me what is happening?"

"It's a group of missing-nin, they've been coming by every few months demanding tribute. But today we fought back. We're sick and tired of them. But maybe we should have waited until the group was back from the island..."

"You mean Arashijima?"

"Yes... Are you sure you're a shinobi of Arashi?"

"I only arrived here today, but yes," he confirmed as he raised his arms. Clouds of beetles flew from his sleeve, breaking off into different directions. The man yelped and backed away, understandably creeped out by so many bugs coming from inside another person's clothing. "My name is Aburame Shino, nice to meet you."

"Tenshu... Hikuzaki Tenshu..." Shino left him shortly after as he felt Ino and Tenten's chakra signatures.

He reached what looked to be the main road, though a few buildings were collapsed, and found close to twenty invaders fighting around fifteen townspeople and the girls. From where his beetles were, on the other hand, it seemed there was a standoff in a building down the street. He headed past the girls, who noticed him but proceeded in their battles before he came to a fabric shop and entered through the broken-down door.

Inside, there was a single female invader holding an elderly woman hostage against three men, Shino noticing that Inari was in front of them.

"Don't you dare hurt Lady Iro!" one of the men yelled, wooden pole in hand. The woman cackled.