Chapter 4 | Adjustment

"What..?" Kakashi asked, wondering what he had meant. Someone had left them?

"They're dead!" Konohamaru sucked in a breath, realizing he needed to calm down. He leaned forward, placing one of his hands on the floor. "We were coming back from a mission when we stopped for Teacher Ebisu to check something.... But he didn't come back for a while so we started going in the direction he went. We stayed on our toes the entire time.... But when we reached a mountain all the animals stopped making any noise and we took that as a sign to be on our guard, but out of nowhere, Moegi said to start running. But before I could move this guy ripped my side open with these claw things."

"He went for me again but Moegi caught his attention and before I could do anything she screamed and I heard her hit the ground. He got her in the face with the same claws that did this to me..." Tazuna placed his hand over his mouth as Kakashi gripped his hands into fists. "He got Udon in the chest."

Inari placed his hand on the other boy's shoulder, not being able to imagine seeing that happen. "He came after me again and caught my arm, and in the same transaction, I killed him with a kunai to the face. I collapsed after that.... Teacher Ebisu came back after that, but once he saw the enemy, he got scared. I called out to him; he even looked at me, saw that I was alive! But he just turned and ran! When I get back to the village, I'm gonna–"

"You're not going back," a woman muttered. He turned to see Sakura standing in the door that led to the hall. "Not for a while anyway..."

"Big Sister Sakura?" he asked. She approached and knelt down next to him before gently bringing him into a hug, breaking the dam he had put up. She smoothed down his hair as he cried. They all knew he wouldn't be truly alright for quite some time. She glanced up at the two sitting at the table.

"They aren't looking for you," she said quietly. They both froze as she looked back down at Konohamaru. "I'm sorry..."

"It's true I'm afraid." Behind Sakura, a large white slug with two blue stripes on its back slowly entered the room.

"Lady Katsuyu?" Kakashi asked.

"Hello everyone, it's nice to see you again," she said, her voice just as soft as it always was.

"What in the world is that..?" Tazuna muttered.

"Tsunami, Tazuna, Inari, this is Lady Katsuyu. She is Sakura and The Hokage's summon."

"That is incorrect." Everyone but the young woman looked at the slug that, at the moment, was the size of a small child. "I have ended my contract with Tsunade."

"What?" Sai asked in shock, surprise being evident on Kakashi's unmasked face as well. "Why?"

"She abandoned you."

It was silent. Kakashi rested his forehead against his hands, his elbows on the table.

"She ordered a retreat and forbade going back for survivors," Sakura explained. "She said it was too dangerous. So I disobeyed orders and went after you guys. I found you guys and three dead ANBU. After I started running I came across Konohamaru, he told me Ebisu left them and I tracked him down."

"What did you do..?" Kakashi asked, his eye narrowed. She looked up, her eyes meeting his.

"I punched him."

He paled.

"I see..."

"I have Moegi and Udon in a scroll so when I find a home I can bury them properly."

"What do you mean, find a home?" Inari asked.

"Well, I'm a rogue-nin now."

"Wait, does that make us rogue-nin?" Konohamaru asked.