Chapter 22 | Terror

Tenten looked over Ino's new outfit, noting that it was flattering.

"You look really cute. I love the Arashi star on your hip, it's like we're matching," the brunette laughed.

"It seems greens and blues are the colors for the village," Ino muttered. "This is more blue than I'm used to..."

Tenten nodded in agreement as she picked up the purple fabric and folded it up, handing it to the blonde.

"I guess she noticed you don't like wearing your headband on your head," the brunette said. Ino glanced down at her hip. "Let's get going, we don't want them leaving us behind."

The two women exited the room and made their way downstairs to find Sai, Sakura, and Neji waiting for them.

"Yo!" Tenten greeted before she noticed Sai gawking at Ino and snorted.

"That's a neat outfit!" Sakura said as they approached. Said woman was back in her yukata with no stains to be found.

"An interesting change," Neji said politely. Tenten paused and looked at him as she noticed a nervousness about him. She offered him a worried look, but he brushed her off with a shake of his head. After a few moments, they left the building to find Kurama and Iro waiting outside.

"Ready to head for the boat?" the old woman asked.

They arrived at the shore to find a large dock that Kakashi had constructed with Kurama's help. To the left of the road leading to the platform was a large roofed information board, though the wood was still blank. They continued onto the dock, passing by the villagers that would stay behind.

To the left of the dock, taking up the entire length, were two large boats made entirely of wood connected to one another by a very thick rope. Each vessel was around twelve meters long and filled with people.

"You guys go ahead. I'll be staying behind to help set things up here," Sai explained as he stopped near the ramp, Ino immediately stopped next to him.

"Then I'm staying too," she pouted. "No way am I leaving you alone after you went and almost died."

Sai chuckled as she laced her fingers with his.

"We'll be here for when Shikamaru and the others get here and sort out the boat system," the painter continued. Ino smiled at the thought of seeing Shikamaru and the Sand Siblings again. "So until we get to the island, make sure to help out everyone as much as possible."

Tenten and Neji nodded in return.

"Oh! Tenten, be sure to tell Kakashi not to make you a house," Ino added.

"Will do!" she saluted playfully. After that, they boarded the front ferry. Kurama grumbled as he made his way to the front of the boat with them following him. Iro entered a door and disappeared as Neji looked up at the roof.

"Let's sit up there," he said, pointing up before he jumped. His teammate followed behind him and sat facing the other boat, while he faced the front. They noticed a few more people boarding the boat behind them before Oginku began talking to Kurama. "We're about to leave."

After a few moments, Neji directed Tenten's attention to the front of the boat. She turned just in time to see Kurama jump from the bow and, with a poof of smoke, return to his fox form. With his mouth, he caught a rope that was attached to the boat, thrown to him by Oginku. He began forward, pulling the boats along with him, though he looked quite irritated.

"What do you think you'll do once we establish a village?" Neji asked after a few moments of silence. The woman could hear that something was off with him, as she knew him better than anyone. But she respected his wishes of secrecy and rested back on her hands, looking up at the blue sky.

"I don't know... Probably help out with training those who want to become shinobi. After that, I don't really know, maybe ANBU," she muttered before she looked at him. "You?"

"I don't quite know either. Possibly working in a files unit, keeping track of missions and such. When I'm not out on missions myself, that is."

"Yeah, we need to do as many missions as possible," she sighed, looking to the boat behind them. They were quite a distance from the shore by that point, as Kurama was going at a faster pace than a boat usually would. She frowned as she heard him groan, and turned to find him clutching his head. "I knew something was up, what's wrong?"

She reached over and placed her hand on his shoulder. She grew more worried as he didn't respond. "Neji?"

"Damn," was all he got out before he slid off the roof. Tenten quickly followed and landed next to him.

"Neji? Are you okay?" He let out a sudden yell of pain. "Neji!"

Tears pricked the woman's eyes as an idea of what had been happening dawned on her. "Someone, please!! Sakura!!"

She became hysterical as he collapsed. She ripped his forehead protector off of his head to reveal his glowing seal as Sakura barreled around the corner and dropped to her knees. She immediately shrouded her hands in chakra and placed them on his chest.

"What's wrong?!" she demanded. Tears were now streaming down the brunette's face.

"Hiashi's killing him!!" she shrieked, gripping his headband. The medic's eyes grew then lit up with anger before she suppressed it and calmed herself. Iro quickly came around the corner with Kakashi and brought the sobbing woman into her arms.

"This is the seal that only disappears when the person dies, correct?" Sakura asked. Tenten confirmed through her tears. "Kakashi! Here, now!"

He was at her side in an instant and she focused on her hands. His screaming decreased and his breathing became slower — too slow — until altogether the movement of air through his lungs had stopped.