Chapter 7 | Comb

The group of people looked at the small fox that had just spoken. It sat on Kakashi, its front paw on the man's nose. Iro approached and gave it a smile.

"Hello there, this is my shop. How may I help you?" Her smile turned to an amused grin. "Though, I can't imagine you would be here for clothes."

The fox removed his paw from the man's nose and stepped onto the floor at his own pace.

"Kunoichi, you kept your end of the deal," he stated as he made his way toward Sakura, stopping in front of her. She crouched down.

"I'm glad to see you're awake. But I have to say, I didn't expect to see you..." The young woman gave him a once over and clearly held back a laugh. "This small..."

"You did something to my chakra. Whether knowing it or not," he stated gruffly. She gave him an inquisitive look, and he sighed. "It's hard to put into words. You're a medic, check for yourself."

She thought for a moment before standing up and looking at the old woman.

"It seems I have to check on something, sorry to leave so abruptly."

"Is that really Kurama...?" Sai asked. It was rather easy to recognize him from his chakra signature, but it was hard to believe that such a small fox could be a chakra beast. A sigh escaped the creature, and it sat down. After a few moments, the fox exploded into smoke, which cleared after a few moments to reveal a man sitting on the floor with his legs crossed.

"If I've done this correctly, I should appear to be human," he muttered.

His appearance consisted of the same red eyes, tanned skin, and dark orange hair. His hair would have been comparable to Naruto's when he was transforming; one could make out fox-like ears within it. His clothing was a replica of the two other men in the room: sleeveless black combat top, generic black combat pants wrapped at the ankles, and black ninja boots. The only difference being that he wore a coat, a replica of Naruto's jacket from when he had returned from Mount Myoboku. The difference was it was red with black flames. He was unable to help that Naruto had had some sense in clothing once in his life.

His eyes moved to Sai, who made a point to raise a brow in question.

"To be honest, I wasn't really up for being that small. This is a better form for blending in... Probably..." Sakura gave an abrupt laugh as she stood, holding out her hand toward him. He rose a brow.

"This is an offer to help you up," she smiled. After a moment, he accepted her help and stood. She gave him an amused grin as she placed her hands on her hips as she realized he had made himself slightly taller than Kakashi. "You just didn't like being smaller than us ."

"Correct." Sakura gave a laugh and Kurama looked down as Kosai came up next to him.

"So..." the teen looked at the young woman. He glanced at the fox in human form. "He's the Kurama?"

"Oh, I just remembered," Iro muttered to herself, turning to go somewhere. The others did not pay much mind to her as they continued their conversation.

"He is the Kyuubi that was sealed inside of Naruto," Kakashi confirmed, having stood.

"I've never had a chakra beast in my shop before," Iro started, drawing their attention while she made her way over to a case that hung on the wall. Some of them recognized it as where the hair ornaments that were for sale were, as they had looked at them while waiting. "And I've been open for forty-eight years!"

She fumbled with a key she had pulled from her pocket. Koshu hurried over to help her, but the old woman shooed her away and pulled something from the fabric that lined the case. Many of them registered that the younger woman became confused as she locked the case back up after being told to.

"M-Ma'am! Isn't that the key you always talk about?" The old woman hummed in question as she turned back to face her student. "I-I mean, that's the comb you're always going on about being the key to the hidden island, why are you getting it out of the case?"

"Well, I'm giving it to Sakura of course," the woman gave a toothy grin and Koshu blinked in confusion as her elder continued toward the group. Iro smiled as she held the comb up in her hands for the young woman to see. It was an ornate hair comb that held a fabric flower. Folds of different colored fabrics came together to create a cherry blossom. Sticking out of the top were small light blue pins and in the center was a golden flower topped off with a sea-foam green gem.

"This washed up on the north shore decades ago," the old woman started, pure joy taking over her features. "I found it when I was younger and restored it to its original state through a few years of labor. I wish for you to wear it when you go to find Arashijima."

"You want to give this to me..?" Sakura asked, carefully taking the comb. The old woman nodded, placing her hands in her sleeves.

"It's my belief that it will be the key that will get you through," she smiled. "Now, you said you were going to go back to where you were staying, I don't want to keep you for too long."

"Actually!" Kosai piped up, drawing her attention. "I asked Tsunami if it would be okay to ask if you wanted to come have lunch with us."

"Which of course, I would love," the mother smiled, liking that her son had also become fond of the old woman. Iro frowned slightly.

"I would love to, but I'm afraid I just can't take that long of a walk anymore..."

"Kurama could carry you!" Sakura piped in, earning her a slight glare from the fox.

"I'm not doing that," was his flat reply. Sakura gave him a frown before sighing.

"Why don't I ask Oginku if he's willing to take me down there by carriage tomorrow?" Iro intervened. "I'm sure that Mr Kuruma is tired from being trapped in a scroll for so long."

The fox grumbled to himself as he crossed his arms, and Tsunami smiled.

"Of course, that's all right as well. You're always welcome."

Sakura and Inari agreed, and the group exited the shop after parting ways, Sai gaining Sakura's attention shortly after.

"Would you like help with your comb?" he asked quietly as they made their way down the street. She glanced at the comb in her hand before giving a light smile. She was sure that he had helped Ino with her hair on more than one occasion.

"Sure." Taking the comb, he pulled back part of her bangs on the right side of her head and secured the comb in place. Sakura gently lifted her hand to feel it and smiled. "Thanks!"

"No problem at all. For being a key, it's very ornate. I can't imagine how it would work," he murmured, taking a few long glances at the piece. Sakura hummed in thought as her fingers brushed across the stone in the center. Kakashi, the fox, and Kosai realized that villagers had begun to stop what they were doing as they passed by.

"I've never seen a gem this color, maybe it has something to do with it?" she wondered.

"It's true that I've never seen anything like it either. I'd like to ask Iro about it tomorrow if I get the chance." The two continued with their theories, Kosai and Inari adding a few ideas they had here and there before Tsunami asked a question that opened a whole new string of questions.

Kakashi turned to glance at Kurama as they walked side by side in the back of the group. It was an understatement to say that the man felt confused by his presence. A part of him was expecting him to turn back into Naruto, with the blond having pulled a poorly thought out prank. But in reality, he would not be turning into anyone else.

"If you wish to discuss, then you may," the fox muttered. The man let out a sigh, knowing he had been caught.

"There's a lot..."

"I suppose there is..." the fox replied after giving a sigh of his own.