Chapter 37 | Homecoming

"Anyway... How do you feel?" Sakura asked as she took the clipboard from the end of his bed and looked through the papers. He rubbed his forehead.

"I have a massive headache..." he murmured as he closed his eyes. She hummed as she set the clipboard on his hospital bed next to him. Coating her hands in chakra, she gently placed them on his head. A few moments of investigation and she picked the clipboard back up, flipping to a page with a diagram of Neji's brain. She jotted a few quick notes and scribbles on the pictures before she stuck the pen she was using behind her ear and examined Neji's head again. After writing a few more notes, she turned to the nurse who was waiting for instructions by the door.

"Put a copy of his injection records on my desk– Kakashi, go home," she interrupted herself as she saw him try to hide a yawn. He sighed and walked out the door. "And I'd like you to bring up a bottle of twelve sixty-three H and a prescription form please."

The nurse gave a nod before hurrying down the hall.

Sakura turned back to her patient and thought for a moment on how best to word what she was about to tell him. "Neji, when you were on the ferry coming to Arashijima you started showing signs of being in severe pain."

She watched him to see if he remembered anything. She was glad when she saw quite a bit of it. "Hiashi was activating your seal, attempting to kill you."

"I had figured that out the moment the pain began," he murmured, wondering exactly how he was still alive. Sakura went on to explain the methods she used, and he was in slight shock that such a thing had worked. She looked back down at her notes.

"Even with the seal gone, there are still some complications I need to sort out before you're able to be discharged. We'll get started the moment I'm done gathering what I need. For the moment you can relax, Tenten will be in shortly," Sakura smiled at him before leaving the room.

Neji turned to the window to his left. In the reflection, he could see his forehead clear of any markings, any trace of past linkages. He couldn't believe it, in truth. He was free. Free from the seal that kept him where his uncle wanted him. The seal that always reminded him he would be nothing more than a branch whose tree found it a burden. He smiled to himself as he heard someone enter the room and turned to face Tenten, whose eyes were wide and teary.

"You're awake!" She rushed over to him and brought him into a hug and he gave a short chuckle, ignoring the pounding against his left temple.

"Sorry to worry you."

"Don't be, we're both free now."

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

"Take one of these every two days with a meal," Sakura instructed as she handed him a small bottle of pills as he sat on the edge of his bed. He wore new clothing, prepared for him by Iro. Tenten held the chest piece that was meant to go along with it. He had a gray shirt that's front laced up and had long draping sleeves with ties around the elbows. The pants were usual and black, but were paired with a forest green sash that fell down to his right knee on one side.

"Thank you." He reached for the bottle but sighed as Tenten took it. She refused to let him carry anything at the time.

"Now let's see if you can walk, shall we?" Sakura smiled as the nurse next to her got ready to catch him if need be. He took a deep breath and pushed up with his arms, shifting his weight onto his feet. He panicked as his knees buckled, though Sakura caught him with no trouble as she gave a light laugh. "You seem to just be a bit light-headed. I recommend getting some food in you and walking to where you'll be staying tonight. Be sure to use Tenten as a support if you need to. You're free to go, be careful."

"Thank you again, Sakura," he said, giving her a grateful smile. She returned it with a bright smile of her own before Tenten helped him stand, wrapping his arm around her shoulders. The moment they stepped out onto the street, he was overwhelmed with the sight of the new town. He wondered what to ask his friend first, but ended up not having to decide as they heard a voice call to them from toward the port.

"Hey!" They turned to see Kankuro jogging in their direction, his hand raised above his head in greeting. He came to a stop next to them and smiled at the other man. "I heard you were awake! I came as soon as I could! How are you feeling?"

Neji stared at the man for what felt like a few minutes.

"Who are you?" he asked finally, causing Tenten to burst into a fit of giggles.

"T-This is Kankuro," she got out. Neji looked to him in surprise.

"I'm sorry, I hadn't recognized you without your face paint."

Kankuro chuckled.

"It's fine, not many people do." The puppeteer noticed Tenten was carrying things in her arm as well as supporting Neji. "Here, I'll take him from you."

He let Neji wrap his right arm around his shoulders and helped him stand while Tenten held his things.

"You don't have to, we were heading to my house," she said, eyes subconsciously moving to check on Neji every few moments.

"It's fine, I'm done with what I was doing, anyway. Also, how are you doing? Gaara and Sai were pretty tired," he asked as they began down the road. She covered her mouth in a yawn, remembering exactly how tired she was.

"Pretty tired," she repeated back to him, a tired grin on her face. "I was honestly planning on just going home and sleeping for three days straight."

Kankuro laughed.

"Don't tell me I have to carry you too." Neji chuckled and gave a small smile as he watched the interaction.

"Let's hope not, that'd be a hassle," she laughed.

"So what have I missed?" Neji asked.

"A lot," she smiled.

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Sai yawned as he opened the front door to his and Ino's home. He was surprised to find a bowl of hot soup on the counter with a small note next to it. He smiled to himself as he read over it, finding he was able to notice words she only tended to use when she was frustrated. He had been coming home late a lot, which was causing her a bit of annoyance.

After eating, he found that the blonde was already in bed. He changed into more comfortable clothing before slipping into the empty side of the bed. His attempt to not wake her was in vane, however.

"It better be a damn good surprise..." she grumbled, though he guessed she was half asleep. He was grateful that she wasn't pushing him for information. Though, she had asked small questions during the mission, all of them he answered with little to no clarity which seemed to drive her up the wall.

"It is..." he whispered.