Chapter 48 | Isobu

The Mizukage approached the window cautiously, and Sakura pointed to the dark clouds that were off the coast.

"That is where the rest of this village is located."

"That is...?" the older woman asked in slight confusion. To be honest, she had thought there was a skilled genjutsu in place, not that it was offshore.

"Would you like to go? Kurama and Shukaku probably want to get Isobu out of the scroll as soon as possible," Sakura asked, smiling.

"You're allowing me to go...?" Mei asked, taken slightly off guard by how friendly she was being.

"We're friends now," Sakura beamed.

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

The group looked to the doors of the conference room to see both women, Sakura being masked once again. The Mizukage pointed to the man with the scroll.

"Hand that over to one of the Arashi ANBU."

"B-But, Lady Mizukage—" he stuttered. Hadn't she said on the way there to guard it as they would not be handing it over?

"A deal has been struck. We will benefit from this greatly." Gin held out his arms and the Mist ANBU reluctantly gave the scroll to him. "Ideki, you will no longer be a jinchuriki."

The young man nodded, clear relief showing on his face. "You all will be staying here. I will be accompanying the Namikage to the location where she will be releasing the three-tails."

"And the two of you," Sakura started, looking at the two tailed-beasts. Kurama and Shukaku glanced at each other before looking at her. She approached them. "I already knew about your back-up plan. I hope you know that."

The two men froze up. "You two are such a hassle."

"Sorry..." Shukaku muttered. They practically felt her narrow her eyes. They bowed in unison.

"We're very sorry, Princess..."

"That's better." The first ANBU that the Mizukage had met snickered but kept it quiet.

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Mei had to admit that the village was indeed beautiful. The flower fields and bright colors gave a refreshing and calm air to the community. She would have to think about such things once she arrived back in her own village.

She also saw no beggars on the streets. All the villagers were happily going about their days, children playing freely on the sides of the road. She had wondered how they had grown so quickly, but upon seeing it she could understand. Anyone who came to the village would wish to be a part of it. She was sure that any merchants or travelers that came into town may have wished to stay.

Little known to her that was precisely what had happened. Passersby would see the vibrance of the streets and wonder if it were possible for them to stay. Arashichi had grown twice the size it had been when they first built it within three months, with much of the capital further east in the Land of Waves having relocated. Homes were built outside of Arashichi's original wall, businesses following suit.

Sakura had to prohibit people from building along the south coast, as she knew that having a monopoly on the bridge could cause problems down the road. But the walls and ports were expanded. Gardens were planted and areas of trees were saved from ever being cut down. The Arashichi Clinic was relocated and increased in size, and a boat system for children who would be attending the academy was in the works.

However, the island was a much bigger shock to her than even the port town. With Mei having left her ANBU in Arashichi, Sakura was able to remove her mask once they boarded the ferry. She shared the stories of them finding the island and how they built it up, but the Mizukage was still unprepared for it.

It was larger than she had imagined, not having expected it to have mountains and valleys. The houses in the Arashijima port were more adobe-like than those in Arashichi and they scaled up a large spike of a mountain, a road twisting and turning its way up. On a road leading out from the port into the island were most of the main buildings: including the teal and white Kage tower, the hospital, and some other major buildings that she didn't know the exact use for. She was shown around as they made their way to the beach where they would release the three-tails.

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Sakura placed the large scroll on the sand where they had summoned Shukaku. She looked around to make sure everyone was in place.

Kurama had returned to his fox form and to his original size so that he would be able to help hold his brother down if necessary. Shukaku was also in his original form, sitting up on the cliffs with Garra, who wore an ANBU mask. Temari, Kakashi, Sai, Ino, Kankuro, Neji, and Tenten — all of whom wore ANBU masks as well — were on the cliffs, mainly there for support and in case something went wrong.

Taking a deep breath, Sakura looked back down at the scroll before closing her eyes. She made a small wish that it would go as smoothly as it could before filling her palm with chakra and slamming it down on the seal, disrupting the seal's chakra flow and releasing him. A massive plume of smoke erupted suddenly, and she jumped back a few times to give the beast room. Mei raised her hands to perform a jutsu but stopped as Gin held up his own, motioning for her not to intervene.

A massive tail cut through the smoke, sending a blast of wind toward those on the cliffs, but the Mizukage watched in awe as Sakura used nothing but a punch to send it back to the ground. Moments later, the smoke cleared to show the mighty three-tailed chakra beast that had been in the hands of Kirigakure for decades. He was held by the tails of the fox, and two of its tails were under the sand tanuki who had sat on them.

"Isobu," Kurama bellowed, catching the attention of his brother. The three-tails stopped, looking at him before turning to Shukaku.

"Why are you holding me down..?" a deep voice asked.

"I would like to speak with you!" Sakura stated, jumping off from his tail.

"Speak?" the voice rumbled. "Humans don't speak to us...."

"I am." She wasn't lying. She was speaking with him, which was something most humans would never even think about doing. But he recognized her, if only a little.

"You tried to seal me once..."

Sakura gave a deep bow, staying so.

"I was fed the bigotry and ignorance that most humans hold. For that I am deeply sorry."

"Why did you release me..?"

She straightened up and looked up at him, giving him a smile.

"I wanted to talk to you about a home."

"I don't have a home for you," he rumbled. She gave a light laugh.

"Not for me, for you. Without being sealed or having to worry about being chased." He was silent for a few moments before Kurama felt him relax.

"I will listen...."

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Mei watched the small woman from afar as she sat on a cliff's edge, having a casual conversation about the difference between salt and fresh waters with a chakra beast that was a hundred times larger than her.

The older woman frowned as she thought back on all the world had done to the tailed beasts. Even she had never thought they could have personalities.