Chapter 39 | Flight

"Can we help you, sir?" Choza asked.

"Yes actually, I was wondering if you all were the ones heading to Arashigakure?" the old man asked. "If so, I'm here to pick you up."

"And you are...?"

"Folks call me Matsuoka," he took a sip of his pipe and blew out some smoke. "I'm one of the ferrymen of Arashi and the pilot of our flying carriages."

He let out a laugh. He murmured to himself. "I still can't believe they fly."

"So we won't be walking?" Aneko asked, hope filling her eyes as she was never very fond of the idea.

"What kinda' person makes people walk all the way from here to the Land of Waves?" he asked, causing the woman to laugh. "Any-who, you seem to be the group. Can I get yur' names?"

"Akimichi Choza."

"Akimichi Aneko. Honey bun?"

He took one and thanked her.

"Yamanaka Inoichi."

Matsuoka chuckled, gaining curious looks from the group.

"I'm sorry, I've just heard a lot about you, Yamanaka. Someone who knows you quite well requested you to come. They hoped to catch up with you."

"Who?"

"I can't recall his name as of the moment," Matsuoka said innocently. "Any-who, the rest?"

He asked as he looked down at a small scroll in his hands.

"This is Sarutobi Kurenai and her daughter, Sarutobi Mirai. I'm Nara Yoshino and this is my husband, Shikaku."

"Umino Iruka."

"You're all on the list, but where's this Akimichi Choji fella'?"

"He said he had to do something important and he would be here before ten," Aneko said, glancing back at the village. Matsuoka looked at his watch.

"He does have ten minutes, shall I take the women to the carriage to get settled. It will be a long flight, so it's good to get the best seats," Matsuoka laughed.

"Oh, this is so exciting," Aneko chimed as she clutched her hands together. Yoshino pat Kurenai on the shoulder in an attempt to wake her.

"Yoshino?"

"We're going to a place where you can rest. Come on." Yoshino helped the woman up and laced their arms so she wouldn't fall. "Shikaku, bring Mirai, would you?"

"Alrighty folks, right this way."

The group followed him down the main path until they came across a clearing.

"Oh my..." Aneko was uncharacteristically lost for words as Yoshino shook Kurenai awake. Iruka was just as astonished as the rest. The only ones not fazed were Shikaku and Mirai, one of which was sleeping.

In the center of the clearing was a small shrine resting on two large beams. Around the shrine were four giant hummingbirds sticking their beaks in large pots or huddled into the grass.

"Kanmi, I'm back," Matsuoka grinned. The dark blue bird's head shot up. She made clicking noises as she lightly bounced up and down. The man walked over to her and stroked her feathers, causing her to chirp happily. A light purple hummingbird hopped over to them and poked the man's back gently, almost knocking him over. "Woah there, Nectar. Don't push me over. I'm old, you know."

Two other birds, one being a powder pink and the other a mint green, sat together and watched them. Matsuoka turned to the group he was escorting and waved them over to the shrine. "Now don't be shy, they won't hurt you. Come in and make yourselves comfortable."

The group made their way over to the small building. Yoshino helped Kurenai in, and they both stopped when their eyes landed on the inside. The walls were a medium teal, with the floor and ceiling being a dark wood. On the sides of the room was a rich brown wrap-around couch with four matching footstools in the middle pushed together to form a square. To the left of the door was a ladder leading up to another room. All around beneath the couch were cabinets, with light blue and sea-foam green pillows scattered around on top. Each wall held a small candle lamp that lit up the whole of the area.

"You can move those things in the middle to make a bed if you like," Matsuoka informed them from outside.

"Thank you very much," Yoshino called as she sat Kurenai down on the couch next to her before moving the footstools so that half of the room was a large couch. She helped Kurenai up and over to the new bed, the woman lying down and falling asleep immediately. Yoshino took a seat on the regular couch on the left side of the room. Shikaku came in next, still holding Mirai, and sat next to his wife.

"This all seems quite elaborate..." Shikaku murmured.

"The compartments under your seats are storage for any belongings you brought with you," Matsuoka explained as he stepped in behind Aneko and Iruka. Aneko sat opposite of Yoshino, and Iruka sat to the left of the door. "I'll go back and get the others."

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Sakura looked up from the papers spread out in front of her as she heard a knock on the door. Kakashi rolled up the map he was looking at and moved to stand by her side.

"Come in." The door opened and Tazuna, Inari, and Tsunami entered the room. "What can I do for you?"

Tsunami didn't take her eyes off the floor and Sakura's smile faded slightly. "Is there something wrong?"

"No... I... I'm ready to give his name..." the older woman muttered just above a whisper. The Kage gave a nod and opened a drawer of her desk, pulling out Inari's personal file that she had kept on hand for just that occasion. She opened it on her desk and sorted through the papers until she found his birth certificate. Picking up a pen, Sakura looked up at the mother. The woman was quiet for a moment before giving a sigh.

"Tonan Ichikai..." Sakura's brows furrowed as the name sounded familiar, not to an extreme, but enough to have her question. She looked to Kakashi, who was looking at the woman with mixed emotions.

"Why does that name sound familiar?" she asked, drawing his attention. He bent down and opened a different drawer in her desk. He pulled out the two bingo books from within and looked through the older one before stopping at a page and laying it in front of her. He tapped his index finger on the right page and her jade eyes looked over the page.

The picture showed a man in his early twenties with dark orange hair and black eyes. He had a scar in the shape of an X on the left side of his jaw. The picture was crossed out with red marker and below the picture read 'Tonan Ichikai'. Sakura looked back up at Tsunami and gave her a frown. "Are you aware that he is dead?"

"Yes..." the woman whispered.

"Are you aware of who he was?"

"Y-Yes... I was at the time as well..."

"Are you saying you willingly had a child with him? You're not in trouble, I just don't want to label this man as something he's not."

"Yes," the mother said without hesitation, finally having the courage to look up to meet the other's eyes.