Chapter 35 | Visitor

Sakura gave him a blank stare, telling him the joke he was making was unacceptable.

"Before you say anything, I've compiled a list," Shikamaru said, pulling out a paper from his folder and setting it on the table in front of the two so they could read it. After looking it over, she glanced up to him.

"You—"

Shikamaru cut her off.

"There's no way I'm going to suggest letting someone come here that we don't trust." He pulled out the other papers from the folders. "These papers have things such as what they will be assigned, where they will be staying, and for how long. Mainly this document will just be a ruse, leaving Konoha to think Arashi is just an up-and-coming village that desires assistance."

"Well, I immediately approve. You seem to have thought this out quite well," Iro said as she examined the documents.

"If it's not too much trouble, I was hoping you could rewrite them, so as to deter any recognition of my handwriting," Shikamaru asked.

"Well, of course. You've thought quite far ahead."

"How long would they be staying for?" Sakura asked.

"Two years at the least. Solidifying the entirety of the groundwork of systems takes at least that long."

"That's quite a while to be away from one's family, don't you think?" Iro asked. Shikamaru pulled out yet another paper.

"Shino, Temari, and I thought about that as well." He noticed the questioning look on the two women's faces. "We discussed this yesterday at lunch."

Iro took the paper and both of them read through it. Sakura was about to ask how long he had been thinking about the plan out when a puff of smoke went off near a window. They heard Temari's voice before the smoke fully cleared.

"Sakura! Lady Iro! I am so sorry for interrupting, but we have an emergency!... I think."

"What's wrong?" Shikamaru questioned.

"The Daimyo of the Land of Waves just entered Arashichi."

"What?"

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

Temari appeared back in front of the waiting Daimyo. He was a scrawny man with pale skin and a timid air about him. He had only three guards with him, which was strange.

"Ah... what did they say? Oh, I hope I'm not intruding..." the man murmured as he sat on a bench out front of a shop near the Garden Board.

"Not at all, she will meet with you immediately," Temari bowed. The man gave a shaking sigh of relief. "I will be your escort to Arashijima."

"Arashijima?"

"Yes." Temari led the visitors to the dock and turned back to them, pulling four cards from the pouch on her hip. "You will need these to be able to board the ferry. Please take one each."

Each of them took one, the Daimyo looking down at his to find it was a light blue. It had a few written words here and there and a string of numbers on the bottom.

"Where are you taking me?" he asked, thinking he could see the shape of a feather through the card.

"Through the Sea of Eternal Storms."

"You're taking me where?!" The street and dock went silent as the people turned to look at him.

"That man's afraid of thunder!" A child teased from the street with one of his friends.

"Kuma! Apologize!" Temari scolded. The boy gave a scared glance.

"Sorry Big Sister!" he shouted before he and his friend ran off down the street. Temari pinched her nose.

"That's not what I meant, but okay..." The Daimyo found himself smiling at the carefree air around the village. Children didn't have to be afraid of strangers or have to sleep on the streets. People smiled in greeting as they saw him, though he was sure that they had no clue who he was; few had seen the Daimyo of the Land of Waves.

╌❀✿╌╌💮╌╌✿❀╌

"Come in," Temari heard Iro say through the door to the meeting room. She opened the door to find the old woman sitting at the head of the oval table, Sakura in the chair on her left and Shikamaru in the chair to her right. "Hello, I was told you wish to speak with me?"

Temari made her way over and stood to her fiance's left so she was between the two groups of people.

"You are the Leader of this new village?" the Daimyo asked, eyeing the others who were in the room.

"Yes, I am the Namikage," Iro stated, folding her hands.

"May I ask who these people are?" he asked as his eyes stayed on Sakura. Kakashi watched him with narrowed eyes from his position behind the woman and Iro.

"Well, this is my granddaughter, Sakura," she said, gesturing to the pinkette. Sakura bowed her head in greeting. The old woman then gestured to Shikamaru. "And this is my assistant, Nara. I feel I must bring to attention your lack of security... While I assure you there is nothing to worry about while in Arashi, I worry for your safety outside of our walls."

"Ah... that..." The man began to grow more timid, leading the others to question if the man in front of them was indeed the Daimyo. "I suppose it does have a little to do with why I am here... You see, there is only one person back at the palace that knows I am here... The rest of the court has the idea that I am locked up in my room at this moment..."

"Is everything all right, dear?" Iro asked, unintentionally slipping back into her comforting tone. What an insult it would have been had it been any other Daimyo. However, the man at the other end of the table felt himself relax at the genuine kindness she showed, not having received such a thing in so long.

"I..." He showed some hesitation as he thought over his words carefully. His eyes looked up to meet the green of the old woman, full of the confidence they had been lacking seconds before. "I wish to hand over the title of Daimyo to the Namikage."