Chapter Six

Third Person

The family and friends of the Gambles gathered in front of the white church as they waited to go inside.

Today was the Saturday morning of the Celebration of Barbara Gambles's life, Kendall's grandmother.

The eldest Gamble at the time made sure to tell her family to not treat this as a sad one, instead, as a day of remembering beautiful memories or saying how much they'd miss her.

She stated, "There's no reason to miss me when I'm gone, just know that I'll be at peace and won't be hurting anymore."

When Ken first heard her statement, he rolled his eyes and didn't care what his grandmother had to say, he thought that he'd be sad no matter how he looked at it.

Yet now that the time has come to officially say his last goodbyes to his grandmother, he finally understood what her words meant.

When he was speaking to her a few days ago, he slowly felt himself regretting not bringing Justice along with him.

The one-year-old had the opportunity to meet his great-grandmother for the first and last time and he should've. She would've loved Justice and treated him the same way she used to do Ken.

Pinching and kissing his cheeks every time she saw him, buying him whatever he wanted, and sneaking him small little peppermints during the middle of church services.

Those were his favorite memories and he'd think about them often.

Ken, his parents, and aunts and uncles stood outside the building greeting extended family and friends as they entered the building. Many were happy to see Kendall seeing as he had missed many family events recently.

His parents spoke for him, saying his excuse was that he was too busy and piled with schoolwork. Ken just nodded, not knowing that this was the lie his parents formulated for him.

Last to arrive was Mama Toya and the kids with the exception of Nehemiah.

Kendall didn't expect to see him anyway. After the words I hate you had come out of his mouth, he knew it was over for them.

Any form of relationship they could have possibly rekindled was out of the picture. Kendall knew Nehemiah would have been angry at him after telling him the news, but not to this extent.

"Nehemiah couldn't make it. He wasn't feeling well." Mama Toya told him. Either Nehemiah hadn't told her the news, or she knew and she wasn't mad. Either way, Kendall accepted the hug she gave him.

He knew nothing was wrong with Nehemiah. He might not have been feeling well, but that was from anger, not because of some illness.

The church bells rang on the 10:00 hour meaning the service would be starting now. The immediate family filed in a single file line, Ken and his parents being first in line.

The band played soft rhythms as they entered the church and found sitting row by row. There had to be a lot of seating due to the Gamble's big family and friends of his grandmother.

It almost seemed like there wouldn't be enough seating, but everyone had a seat.

The service went by---Ken didn't pay much attention. People weren't living up to his grandmother's wish as she wanted and he'd rather stray away from hearing and witnessing the crying of people throughout the room.

A few days prior
(Before Nehemiah knew)

Now that grandma had been placed under hospice care, Ken made sure he made it to the hospital as soon as visiting hours started. Any moment she would be gone and he wasn't about to miss his chance.