Chapter Twelve

Kendall

"And the last box is taped and ready to go."

Returning back to Chicago had me left feeling emotional. All of Justice's first year of living happened in this apartment and now I'm here packing up our belongings and memories and taking them back with me to New York.

It was kinda a bitter-sweet moment.

Aunt Pam had been helping get everything in order when it came to packing, throwing things away, and rearranging the room I once called my bedroom. She continuously made jokes about how as soon as I was gone she'd renovate this room and turn it into her wig closet.

She didn't wear wigs.

She didn't want me to go nor did I feel as though I was ready to leave her. As much as she could be a headache doesn't mean I didn't love her to death. She's done so much for me in such a small amount of time and I'm left with nothing but feeling grateful for it all.

"You should've brought Jay with you. I know it's not like I'm out of the country or anything, but it would've been nice to see him one last time since I won't see him until the holidays."

I left Justice back home with his dad. It would've been really hard finishing up everything with a one-year-old who doesn't know how to sit still. It was also a good chance for Nehemiah to spend some one-on-one time with him which he's done.

Mama Toya sent me some pictures of the two of them asleep in bed earlier this morning in the exact same sleeping position. It was so sweet and funny that I couldn't help but change it to my home screen.

My boys are so cute.

"You know Justice as well as I do. Imagine the extra work we would've had to put in to keep him under control." "He probably would've ended up in one of these boxes." "You see, you understand."

"And that's what makes me love that kid, he's so unpredictable. Anyway, shouldn't you be getting ready for your date?" She did a little shimmy with her shoulders and held her mouth open while her eyebrows took part in dance as well.

"It's not a date, just a goodbye dinner. And there's nothing to get ready for. Marquis told me to come as I am."

Quis and I still hadn't talked about our little argument and tonight we could figure it all out before I leave.

"And I wouldn't do that literally, especially with the conditions you're under. Can you at least take a shower? You've been sweating for hours."

"Auntie, I'm not taking this seriously." I huffed out picking up one of my many boxes and moving them out of my room. "And why the hell not?!" The attitude in her voice was evident which meant that this conversation was leading to something I didn't want it to.

I would attempt to diffuse the whole thing but now that it was brought up and she seemed passionate about it I wouldn't be able to.

"It's my last day here. I'm moving my life back to New York where I came from in the first place. After tonight we might now even talk to each other again." "I don't know honey, to me seeing you walk away is something he won't let happen."

I was not against us being friends, but he wanted us to be more than that and that scared me. Nehemiah was my first and only boyfriend, he's all I know.

I've never had to be intimate with anyone else on that level before. Marquis and I have built a solid friendship and I could see myself opening up to him on that level, but I didn't know if it was right to.

And even if I never find that type of love again, I'm already happy.

I have Justice and most importantly Nehemiah in his life. I just want my happy family and we're gonna work our way up to continue to build on that.