Chapter Twenty-Eight

TW: MENTIONS OF ABUSE

Kendall

I found myself sitting in a cold shower. The ice-cold water hit my skin aggressively as I sat on the tile floor. Quite frankly, this is the best I've felt all week.

Showers seemed to be my safe space recently. It meant time for myself and it was where I found the most peace. Most importantly, it was away from him physically because mentally he was always with me. His voice just never left my head.

I try to tune it out as much as I can, but he overpowers me like he always does.

I had been in here for a while, so I decided it was about time I got out before Marquis came in here to interrupt my peace.

I shivered when the shower curtain was pulled back, the cool air causing goosebumps to cover my body. The towel gave me a little bit of warmth, but not much to stop my shivers.

I used a rag to clean off the foggy mirror. I was desperate yet afraid to look at my body. I knew it looked terrible because that's what I felt like. Like a bag of potatoes that had gotten beaten around really bad.

I examined my abdomen first which happened to be covered in a brutal purple color. It was a small trail of them that stopped just under my ribs. My back wasn't as bad, but the pain was still equivalent to the pain that I felt on both sides.

The marks only covered my torso and back area—places on my body nobody could see with clothes on. Guess I should be lucky.

I hid everything with my clothes and a fake smile as I left the bathroom. Marquis sipped on a cup of coffee as he looked at his phone. His plate of food that I made him was already clean and pushed out in front of him.

I quickly picked it up and moved it to the sink for me to clean later on. I reached in the cabinet to grab a reusable cup and filled it with water to sip on throughout the day. By the time I was done, Marquis was already at his front door waiting for me.

Without saying a word, I picked up my hoodie that had been hanging from one of the dining room chairs and pulled it painfully over my chest, and left the apartment. I waited patiently for him to finish locking the door before walking down the hall.

I flinched when I felt his hand go around my waist to hold me close as we now walked hip to hip down the hall.

"My bad, I didn't mean to scare you like that," he chuckled out leaving a wet kiss on my cheek.

That's all I've been recently- scared.

Scared of him and how he's suddenly morphed into this completely new person. I thought I knew him yet I don't know anything about him at all.

"It's okay." I gave a small smile and continued on to the car. He was nice enough to open my door for me before getting in on his side before pulling out onto the busy roads of the city.

It happened to be a gloomy day. The air was humid due to the rain that came in last night. The roads were wet as well as the sidewalks that were crowded with pedestrians who were traveling to their place of work.

The city was beautiful, even when it was dark on days like this. The scenery always knew how to make me feel better.

I found myself enjoying the city for the remainder of the car ride. I noticed the sun starting to peek out from behind the clouds. Hopefully, it means there will be some light to my day. I really need it after what happened last night.

I remember everything and could still feel the pain from everything he did to me.

It wasn't even my fault. It never is my fault but somehow he always finds a way to turn it around on me.